Friday recipe: cookie pie

June 29, 2012 —

I know what you’re thinking: DMU’s Friday recipe is always healthy, and it’s rarely dessert. I made an exception to the second point but not the first when I learned that next week is supposedly Pie Week. Who knew? But who could disagree with celebrating the flaky concoction that holds everything from magpies to mincemeat to lemon meringue?

Get ready for the week by reading National Public Radio’s food blog, The Salt, where you’ll find five surprising facts about pie. Take a break and read Yann Martel’s marvelous Life of Pi, one of my all-time favorite books. Then celebrate with this recipe from self-described healthy dessert blogger Chocolate-Covered Katie (I have a feeling I’m going to be visiting this blog on a regular basis).

Photo: chocolatecoveredkatie.com

Deep-dish cookie pie

• 2 cans white beans or garbanzos, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 3 tablespoons oil (canola, vegetable or coconut)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend everything except the chips very well in a food processor. Mix in the chips and pour batter into an oiled 10-inch springform pan (use a smaller pan for a really deep-dish pie). Bake for 35-40 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

Endlessly curious and easily entertained, Barb Dietrich Boose loves being a member of the friendly, fascinating DMU community and its creative communications team. The University's publications director and DMU Magazine editor, Barb is always on the hunt for story ideas, good books and new recipes to try out on her family, such as her surprisingly tasty pork-and-bean bars.