Friday recipe: summer salad

August 5, 2011 —

I’m embarrassed to admit that the first time I was served edamame, I didn’t know how to eat it. The edible soybeans were served to me in their pods, which I gnawed and swallowed. Wrong! With shelled edamame, you use your teeth to pop them out of the pods, which you promptly pitch into your compost pile or feed to your goat. I bet both my host (a relatively new acquaintance at the time) and my gut were wondering what I was thinking!

Eating edamame will make you smile - just don't eat the pods.

I’m now a big fan of edamame, which you can buy frozen both in the pod and shelled. It’s delicious plain, but it’s also tasty sprinkled with a little soy sauce. Or enjoy it as part of this super summer salad, which comes courtesy of DMU’s Amy MacKrell, Ph.D., relationship manager in our information technology department. It combines the great tastes of summer with healthful dining.

Summer salad

• Kernels from two ears of corn, or 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
  • 12 cherry tomatoes, halved, or 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon minced red onion
  • 1 1/2 C frozen shelled edamame
  • 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled and cubed
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Bring a saucepan of water to boil over high heat. Have a bowl of ice water ready. Add the corn and edamame; cook for three minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the corn and edamame to the bowl of ice water. Drain, place in a large bowl and add the tomatoes and avocado.

In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil. Pour the dressing over the salad and gently stir to combine. Garnish with cilantro, if using, and serve. Makes four servings.

Endlessly curious and easily entertained, Barb Dietrich Boose loves being a member of the friendly, fascinating DMU community and its creative communications team. The University's publications director and DMU Magazine editor, Barb is always on the hunt for story ideas, good books and new recipes to try out on her family, such as her surprisingly tasty pork-and-bean bars.
  • Elizabeth

Barb, This looks like a great salad. I can’t wait to try it!
    Thanks.
    Elizabeth