Friday recipe: healthy banana bread

One of my fave blogs had this healthified banana bread recipe recently and I’m looking forward to trying it:

High Protein Banana Bread by Espresso&Cream

photo & recipe from www.espressoandcream.com

3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
35-40 grams vanilla-flavored protein powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cub brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup ground flax meal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons milk

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with aluminum foil; set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together the bananas, butter, yogurt, protein powder, sugar, brown sugar and eggs. Beat until well combined. Add in baking soda, salt vanilla extract, cinnamon and flax meal. Stir until combined.

Beat in flours until just combined. Reserve 1/2 cup of the batter. Transfer remaining batter to loaf pan. Stir peanut butter and milk into the reserved batter and stir until combined. Spread peanut butter batter atop batter in loaf pan. Run a knife through to evenly distribute peanut butter batter layer.

Bake for 50 minutes, until golden brown on the surface. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

10 responses to “Friday recipe: healthy banana bread

1. I am a big time, huge fan of banana bread and this recipe sounds delicious and healthy. Thank you for sharing. I am definitely going to try it. I have tried using olive oil, instead of butter and that works well, too. Makes a delicious, flavorful and healthy bread. In my opinion, protein powder doesn’t have to be Vanilla flavored. Regular, unflavored powdered serves the purpose very well. Instead of 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of brown sugar can be used. 1/2 cup of all purpose flour and 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour can be replaced with 1 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour.

2. I am a big time, huge fan of banana bread and this recipe sounds delicious and healthy. Thank you for sharing. I am definitely going to try it. I have tried using olive oil, instead of butter and that works well, too. Makes a delicious, flavorful and healthy bread. In my opinion, protein powder doesn’t have to be Vanilla flavored. Regular, unflavored powdered serves the purpose very well. Instead of 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of brown sugar can be used. 1/2 cup of all purpose flour and 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour can be replaced with 1 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour.