Can you run a mile?

March 29, 2011 —

Angela & Rebecca

One of our PA students is a finalist in Wellmark’s Whip It 180 challenge! Angela Nelson is now training with Rebecca Meyer from “The Biggest Loser” to get yourself on a healthy track. She wants to get herself in shape so she can help her future patients live healthful lives. We support her and know she can do it!

The culmination of the challenge will end with a race called Grand Blue Mile, a 1-mile race in downtown Des Moines. Angela is going to run it and you could too. The idea of the GBM is to bring the community together and challenge everyone to run (or walk) the mile in celebration of wellness. It’ll be a timed race and there’s several categories, including one for kids. It’s $25 to run but after that covers your cost, the excess goes to Drake Relays & Iowa Kidstrong. Fun event!

Courtney Tompkins has been part of the DMU marketing team since Nov. 2005 and loves promoting a school she believes in so thoroughly. Proud daughter and patient of DMU alumni, Courtney knows, first-hand, that Des Moines University is doing a world of good. A fan of all outdoor festivals, fruity drinks and nearly all edibles, she has a hard time narrowing down her list of favorite places to go and things to do but lists the Iowa State Fair as an all-time fave. She loves her 8-minute commute to DMU from Urbandale, a suburb of Des Moines. She and husband Tyler are owned by three large dogs, Tonka, Tucker and Tank.

• Tea

Have a great time Angela! Doctors should practice what they preach, you’re doing a good thing running the mile :)

• Tea

• Barbara Boose

Way to go, Angela! The DMU community is proud of your commitment to better health. I’ve also learned that the “buddy system” is the best approach to exercise – it needs to be FUN to be effective. Good luck!

• Barbara Boose

• http://www.vistacollege.edu/online Marcus

Awesome new! I used to be able to run a mile but I doubt I could pull it off now…it’s a great time of year time to start training!

• Fletcher

I wish best of luck to Angela. Running a mile is not that hard if you do constant training. It will be a motivation for the people to start training and win the event.