Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a great match!

February 28, 2011 —

The D.O. matches (how a student knows which residency program they’ll be going into) were out on valentine’s day and my husband got the wonderful news that he matched at his #1 choice program for general surgery. I am so excited for him! Of course, part of it was his grades, another part was his great personality and a teeny part had to do with luck. I have friends that didn’t match and it wasn’t because of their grades or personality. It seemed it had more to do with the specialty they chose, in some areas only half the applicants matched. This is where luck did play a role. This entire matching process is so stressful because there isn’t really a recipe to do it all right! Perhaps if you do the best that you know how to do, you can’t look back with any regrets, right?

Now the other half, is me. Podiatry residency matches are March 14, at 11 a.m. EST. There’s a chance that I will match in the same state as my husband, but there’s also a chance that I might end up across the country. And yes, this has happened to students before so it’s painfully stressful to know that I could be in that boat.

But not to worry. I will take it a day at a time and not worry about what could be and think about what already is. My husband got what he wanted so his mind can rest easy until graduation. I, on the other hand, will continue to count my blessings and appreciate all that I already have.  “It’s not having what you want. It’s wanting what you’ve got.” Rock it out just like Sheryl Crow says to!

Tea Nguyen is a dual degree D.P.M./M.P.H. student at DMU. She was born in Utah but raised in California and left the great state to be at one of the best podiatry school in the country.

She has aspirations in international medical service trips and hopes to hit several continents during this lifetime. Traveling is also on the top of her to-do list and she often reminisces about her prior travels to Italy, France and Greece. She also enjoys eating adventures with her boyfriend Paul and is a major food-snacker. It is not uncommon to find her lapsed in a food coma in the middle of her studies.

• http://www.cellhub.com/t-mobile-cell-phones/dell-streak-7-black.html Dell Streak 7

Hey! Just caught up on your blog while surfing….. Yea! I know how the pain of the similar anticipation… My boy friend & I went through similar painful ordeal, but eventually got enrolled in universities just two miles apart!

So I so totally agree with the role of luck! And hoping right and being thankful are the only ways to get it all right!

Keep hoping…

Lotta luck……

Keep hoping…

Lotta luck……