Friday recipe: gluten-free blueberry clafoutis

A few weeks ago, Dr. Melita Schuster from the DMU Clinic gave a campus presentation on gluten-free diets. She talked about how gluten intolerance runs the whole range from sensitivity to severe, known as Celiac disease. The symptoms can range from pain to bowel, thyroid or reproductive issues. I found it personally very intriguing because my mom is gluten intolerant and this month I’ve cut gluten and dairy from my diet to see if it’d alleviate some of my headaches, congestion, etc.

Because I like browsing online for gluten-free recipes that actually taste good, I am totally in love with GlutenFreeGirl’s blog. Today I’m sharing one of her recipes and linking you to her site. If you are gluten sensitive or know someone that is, OR you are a foodie at all, please check out her awesome stuff!

photo & recipe from glutenfreegirl.com

Gluten-Free Girl’s blueberry clafoutis

2 cups frozen blueberries
½ teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/4 cup soy milk
2/3 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
40 grams sweet rice flour
30 grams millet flour

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Toss the frozen blueberries with the cinnamon and honey and let them marinate for a bit. Set aside.

Throw the soy milk, 1/3 cup of the sugar, eggs, vanilla, almond extract, salt, and sweet rice flour and millet flour into a blender and puree them up until the batter resembles a slightly thick pancake batter.

Pour a thin layer of batter onto the bottom of deep-dish pie pan. Put it in the oven and let it bake until the layer does not jiggle when you shake the pie pan, about 5 minutes.

Spoon in the honeyed fruit, evenly, over the bottom layer. Sprinkle on the remaining sugar. Pour in the remaining batter.

Bake until the top is golden brown and set, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. The clafoutis will be puffed up when you pull it from the oven and will deflate as it sits on the stove. Don’t worry. It happens.

Serve warm or room temperature.

Feeds 4.

12 responses to “Friday recipe: gluten-free blueberry clafoutis

1. Wow, I want to eat this cake, it looks so delicious, I like it, really really like, I will try to cook this. The site glutenfreegirl.com are so good, thanks very much, I think my boyfried will be amized that when I have leaned how to cook this.

2. Excellent recipe, works really well. Always looking for good gluten free recipes for my celiac wife.

Just one warning if you are getting symptoms form eating gluten, particularly if you notice improvements when you reduce gluten you should realy get tested. Its a simple blood test that can pick up antibodies produced when a celiac eats gluten. You need to be eating gluten before taking the test