January 4, 20111/4/11 8 comments
Many of our students come from rural Iowa, other states or even other countries. Some will stay and practice in Des Moines, some will disperse. So for those of you who have lived here or do live here, what things would you tell a new DMU student he or she MUST do while living here?
I’d say you MUST:
- attend an Iowa Cubs game; enjoy a cold drink & ballpark hotdog.
- go to the Iowa State Fair and try five things you’ve never eaten before.
- visit the downtown farmers’ market for fresh produce & hot breakfast.
- slurp down a shake at the Drake Diner.
- eat a slice at Big Tomato – preferably late at night, sitting outside on the sidewalk.
- get to know the local parks, dog parks &/or bike trails for fresh air.
- eat at Bauder’s soda fountain counter.
- catch live tunes at the Simon Estes Amphitheater.
- scope out the amazing work at the Arts Festival.
- ride the Tornado at Adventureland.
- shop Valley Junction and the East Village.
- have breakfast at the Waveland Cafe.
- wander the Art Center – it’s free and they have great exhibits (plus the cafe is DELISH!).
And you can check out this list of 27 things to do in Des Moines which was recently was published by Metromix & Juice and it’s great!