The flow of being a student

Life as a first-year student has been all about flow and in my first weeks I had none. Switching gears from working all day to attending school all day was tough in the fact that everyday we had a different class schedule. Throw in remembering lab clothes, a lunch, student ID, classmate names, locker combos and I was bound to forget something. The worst was when I hauled three bags to school, arrived just in time for class but forgot my bike lock!  Luckily, everyone is going through it together.

Now that I’m a few months in, I’ve got my flow back. I eat most lunches at the café, I never lock my locker (don’t tell anybody), and I keep all sorts of extra stuff at school in my lockers (I have 3 of them). I have become a whiz with my Outlook email & calendar and I have learned to be aware of what’s coming up for classes. Most of all, I have been exploring my new city via any self-powered vehicle. The best is when my roommate jumps on his bike to pull me on my longboard on the smooth bike paths.

When I first started classes someone told me I wouldn’t have time to watch football. I believed them. They are wrong. I have had time to watch almost any game I want (just as long as I don’t watch them all) and with my scheduling skills I have made time to take a few canoe trips, a couple of bike races and, this weekend, a trip to Florida.  Did I mention I work too? It’s a steady flow but I think I’ve got it down for now!

4 responses to “The flow of being a student

1. I can understand why you would go back to the mountains! having studied for many years it does take time to get into a rythym, I found extramural study the hardest as there is no timetable to adhere to (well except for papers being due and on campus courses) and I missed the interaction with other students and being able to discuss things with them easily. And it is really important to balance things out, all study and no fun makes it harder to learn.

2. I can understand why you would go back to the mountains! having studied for many years it does take time to get into a rythym, I found extramural study the hardest as there is no timetable to adhere to (well except for papers being due and on campus courses) and I missed the interaction with other students and being able to discuss things with them easily. And it is really important to balance things out, all study and no fun makes it harder to learn.