Friday recipe: honey-soy broiled salmon

I love to order salmon in restaurants, but have only cooked it at home once – on the grill – so I’m not sure if that counts. The problem is, I have a fear of buying seafood. I know even in land-locked Des Moines you can still find good, fresh seafood, but I usually balk at the price. Sure, it’s more expensive than chicken, but it’s also healthier. Fish is a great source of lean protein and heart-healthy omega-3 fats.

What’s the best place to buy seafood in Des Moines? I’ve heard Waterfront is good, but is Hy-Vee or Dahl’s OK? Is it worth paying more for fresh or is frozen fine? Help me become a confident seafood chef!

Honey-soy broiled salmon

1 scallion, minced
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 pound center-cut salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 4 portions
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

Directions:

1. Whisk scallion, soy sauce, vinegar, honey and ginger in a medium bowl until the honey is dissolved. Place salmon in a sealable plastic bag, add 3 tablespoons of the sauce and refrigerate; let marinate for 15 minutes. Reserve the remaining sauce.
  2. Preheat broiler. Line a small baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
  3. Transfer the salmon to the pan, skinned-side down. (Discard the marinade.) Broil the salmon 4 to 6 inches from the heat source until cooked through, 6 to 10 minutes. Drizzle with the reserved sauce and garnish with sesame seeds.

8 responses to “Friday recipe: honey-soy broiled salmon

1. Don’t overcook your salmon!!! 10 minutes is way too long. Every time I order it in a restaurant, it is overcooked. I bake individual filets – about one-half pound, in a 500 degree oven, top rack for five minutes, then set it aside and cover with foil. It will cook just sitting there for a couple minutes until you serve. To test, pull it out of the oven at five minutes and tap the top with a fork – if it still has a little bounce left in it and looks cooked on the surface, it’s done. Overcooking salmon is as widespread as overcooking eggs.

2. Don’t overcook your salmon!!! 10 minutes is way too long. Every time I order it in a restaurant, it is overcooked. I bake individual filets – about one-half pound, in a 500 degree oven, top rack for five minutes, then set it aside and cover with foil. It will cook just sitting there for a couple minutes until you serve. To test, pull it out of the oven at five minutes and tap the top with a fork – if it still has a little bounce left in it and looks cooked on the surface, it’s done. Overcooking salmon is as widespread as overcooking eggs.

3. The easiest way to cook salmon, especially if you get a whole salmon is to bake it, place lemon, dill or any other herbs or your choice into the salmon and then wrap in tin foil using around 180 degreee celcius for about 40 to 50 minutes depending on the size of your fish, this way your fish is beautiful and moist and it is easy to remove most of the bones, but watch out for the odd pinbone. Fresh would be best if you can get it, the best salmon is where the fish are not feed fatty food to make them mature faster (it tastes watery) and fish which have to constantly swim all the times as their flesh is firmer. I am lucky as there are salmon farmers within a few kms of where I live so it is environmentally sustainable as well.

4. The easiest way to cook salmon, especially if you get a whole salmon is to bake it, place lemon, dill or any other herbs or your choice into the salmon and then wrap in tin foil using around 180 degreee celcius for about 40 to 50 minutes depending on the size of your fish, this way your fish is beautiful and moist and it is easy to remove most of the bones, but watch out for the odd pinbone. Fresh would be best if you can get it, the best salmon is where the fish are not feed fatty food to make them mature faster (it tastes watery) and fish which have to constantly swim all the times as their flesh is firmer. I am lucky as there are salmon farmers within a few kms of where I live so it is environmentally sustainable as well.

5. I love salmon. And I have been looking for new recipes to add to my collection. Thanks for the recipe. I will surely try this out. And thanks rohan and joe for the tips. I will keep that in mind.
    Do you have other recipes to recommend? Thanks

6. I love salmon. And I have been looking for new recipes to add to my collection. Thanks for the recipe. I will surely try this out. And thanks rohan and joe for the tips. I will keep that in mind.