Friday recipe: bean dip

Whether you’re a DMU student and have been in class most of the summer or you’re done with school, after-school or late-afternoon snacks are a great chance to sneak in some fruits and veggies.

This bean dip from Parenting.com is similar to hummus (check out Marco from Summerfield’s recipe here) and is super easy to make. Spice it up with herbs or red pepper flakes.

Bean dip

Can of white beans (try cannellini), drained and rinsed
Squeeze of tomato or sundried tomato paste
1 T olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Basil or other dried herb (optional)

Dump beans in a medium sized bowl, add a squeeze of tomato or sundried tomato paste, a pinch of salt and pepper and olive oil and mash them with a potato masher until a smoother consistency is formed. Serve this with the pita chips.

DMU is sponsoring a food drive for healthy kids snacks to donate to DMARC. Stay tuned for more details next week.

40 responses to “Friday recipe: bean dip

1. Wow Thanks for the recipe! aother recipe that i use is with raw pinto beans where I boil them for a few hours and then add a bit of bacon grease and salt with sauteed garlic… its incredible… even still i can’t wait to try out your recipe 🙂 .

2. Wow Thanks for the recipe! aother recipe that i use is with raw pinto beans where I boil them for a few hours and then add a bit of bacon grease and salt with sauteed garlic… its incredible… even still i can’t wait to try out your recipe 🙂 .

3. That is almost the same recipe to make bean chips. You just take that dip and layer it onto a well greased cookie sheet about 1/8 inch thick and put it in the oven at 275 degrees for an hour. When you take it out, let it cool then break it apart… tada! homemade bean chips. YUM.

4. That is almost the same recipe to make bean chips. You just take that dip and layer it onto a well greased cookie sheet about 1/8 inch thick and put it in the oven at 275 degrees for an hour. When you take it out, let it cool then break it apart… tada! homemade bean chips. YUM.

5. I just made that bean dip for my family last night and they loved it. The only thing I need to know now is how do you make those chips that are in the picture. I just used regular tortilla chips but I bet it will taste much better with homemade chips.

6. I just made that bean dip for my family last night and they loved it. The only thing I need to know now is how do you make those chips that are in the picture. I just used regular tortilla chips but I bet it will taste much better with homemade chips.

7. The recipe looks very healthy, loaded with a lot of fiber and proteins from the beans. What a great way to sneak in all healthy ingredients in the snacks? Thanks for sharing this. I’ve bookmarked it.

8. The recipe looks very healthy, loaded with a lot of fiber and proteins from the beans. What a great way to sneak in all healthy ingredients in the snacks? Thanks for sharing this. I’ve bookmarked it.