Friday recipe: zucchini cakes

I have a vegetable garden for the first time this year and so far the main thing I’ve harvested is zucchini. I eat it raw on salads, roasted or sauteed, in muffins or cake and now even in pancake form! My only disclaimer on this recipe, is that depending on how much oil you use to cook (or fry) the cakes the recipe may not necessarily qualify as “healthy.” But I figure with zucchini as the main ingredient it can’t be that bad, right?

This recipe is from The Pioneer Woman. If you haven’t heard of this blog, I highly recommend checking it out, but I’ll warn you, it’s addictive! From her recipes and photos to crazy stories you’ll definitely be entertained and coming back for more (and maybe even secretly wishing you lived on a ranch in the middle of Oklahoma).

I also learned that zucchini is actually a fruit (because it has seeds)!

Zucchini cakes
1 whole large zucchini
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup (to 3/4 cup) breadcrumbs
1/2 cup 4-cheese Italian blend (or Parmesan Or Romano)
2 whole eggs
kosher salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
olive oil

Directions

Wash and cut the end off of one large zucchini. Shred it using the large holes of a cheese grater. Squeeze the shredded zucchini inside of a clean towel until you’ve removed as much liquid as possible.

Place shredded zucchini into a medium sized bowl. Add minced garlic, breadcrumbs, cheese (shredded), eggs, kosher salt and pepper to taste. Stir with a fork until well mixed.

Heat olive oil (about ¼ inch deep in bottom of skillet) to a medium heat. When the oil is hot enough drop a glob of zucchini batter into the skillet and flatten it a bit. After about two minutes, turn the cakes over (they should be nice golden-brown) and cook on the other side until done (about 2-3 minutes).

Serve with the dipping sauce of your choice and enjoy!

17 responses to “Friday recipe: zucchini cakes

1. Firstly,thanks for making me acquainted with this blog.I will check it out later.Zucchini is one of my favorites.Great recipe.I will of course,use less oil as i like to eat healthy.Will give it a shot this weekend.Look forward to more such recipes from you.

2. Andrea, thanks a lot for posting such a nice recipe. I had a number of dishes made out of zucchini but zucchini cake is pretty new to me. I hope it would be a delicious tea-time food. The zucchini cake is also healthy because zucchini contains different kinds of vitamins. Thanks once again. Awaiting your next post. Bye.

3. I say, this recipe is delicious! We had this as one of the dishes in our lunch today and everybody loves it. I always love to cook and thank you for sharing us this recipe.