Friday recipe: pesto

It’s way too hot to think about cooking anything, so this week’s recipe doesn’t involve the oven. I love pesto on just about anything: sandwiches, pasta, bread, even pizza. I especially love making it with fresh basil from my herb garden.

I’ve heard that you can leave out the cheese and freeze prepared pesto in ice cube trays. Then you have individual servings of pesto ready whenever you want!

Pesto

1 packed cup of basil leaves
2 Tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
dash of kosher salt

DirectionsPut basil, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic and salt in food processor. Blend until they form a green paste (add more olive oil if necessary). Once you have it to the desired consistency stir in Parmesan cheese. Double or triple the recipe depending on how much basil you have!

14 responses to “Friday recipe: pesto

1. This is a cool summer recipe that is prepared without an oven. It is really interesting to get such a pesto preparation from you. Andreaโ€™s recipes have always been outstanding with something special in them. Since this a raw preparation, the churning need to be done carefully and the ingredient have to be put in the right amount.

2. I love pesto too and it’s good to see it being mentioned and talked about in your post.Pesto is definitely a good option in summer as it doesn’t require much effort to prepare it.I mainly like to have it with sandwiches but with pizzas..not bad either.Thanks.take care.

3. As a business owner and busy Mother of two, I always keep pesto on hand. This is a great basic pesto recipe. You can even freeze pesto in small quantities and keep them in the freezer. Just thaw and add to your favorite recipies. It is great on pasta of course, but try other items such as pizza, burgers and sandwiches. Pesto adds a perfect amount of zest to these dishes.