Rotations are fun, but exhausting!

I’ll be the first to admit that I hate sacrificing sleep time (well, who doesn’t?) but sometimes it is not a choice. I’ve always needed an exceptional amount of sleep to be fully functioning the following day, so I knew going into the medical field was going to challenge me physically.

I have had a wonderful month on my current rotation. A typical day starts at 6:30 a.m. and ends around dinner time, 5:30 p.m. During the day, it doesn’t feel all that bad because I’m up and running around, hanging out with patients (my only social time it seems) and learning a whole lot from other professionals. But by the time I get home, kick off my shoes, and do some reading on my bed, I feel the exhaustion kick in. I’ve found myself skipping dinner to catch up on sleep. My Fridays are the most uneventful because I’ll get home and clonk out for the next 14 hours. Amazingly, that seems to help me last throughout the work week.

How do you spend your Friday nights?

7 responses to “Rotations are fun, but exhausting!

1. I totally understand as something of this kind has happened to me too.This is life and the only option is to adapt as fast as possible which i believe,you do.My Friday nights are also not happening as on most occasions i end up doing my pending 3D projects as throughout the week i am working in office.

2. I went to medical school at the University of Alberta (in Canada). It sounds like there’s been a number of positive changes to the curriculum at that particular school for example.

When I did my general surgery rotation, it was absolutely brutal in terms of sleep deprivation at the time. We started rounds at 6:00 am and if we had call (1 in 4), then we had to work until 6pm the following day! Usually, I would be lucky if I managed to get an hour or two of interrupted sleep the entire night.

They’ve subsequently changed the programs so that medical students no longer do overnight call. Either way, the demands of medical school rotations can be a challenge.

3. It is certainly a good experience to work in rotational shifts as this expose one to work in varying situation and factors. But I accept that these types of rotations are too tedious. So Friday afternoon is the best time to get motivated to start off with the pending works. I usually use this time for recreation.

4. Exercise! This is by far the best thing to do for your body to adjust to your new demanding schedule. I know it’s the last thing you want to do when get home but your body will respond with energy after about a week of just 30 minutes a day of exercising. Make this a habit everyday and you will have all the energy in the world and you will also sleep like a baby too!