Friday recipe: tuna casserole

April 16, 2010 —

I’m not big on gloppy casseroles, but tuna casserole is one of those comfort foods I can’t resist. This recipe elevates your mom’s casserole to satisfy your grown up tastes. I especially love the subtle mustard and lemon flavors it has.

If you’re looking for more healthy recipes, check out Iowa Girl Eats. This is one of my favorite places to find quick, easy and healthy recipes.

Lemon tuna noodle casserole

1 cup dried pasta
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon hot sauce (or more to taste)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
dash of garlic powder
salt & pepper
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
5 oz canned tuna packed in water
1/2 cup frozen peas (optional)

Topping Mixture:

1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup crushed oyster crackers
Dash of salt, onion powder and garlic powder

Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium low heat. Sauté onions and celery until soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add mustard through flour to pan and stir until combined. Add chicken broth and whisk until mixture is smooth, thick and bubbly.
3. Add pasta, peas and tuna. Mix until combined and pour into greased casserole dish.
4. Top with oyster crackers that have been toasted in a skillet for about a minute with melted butter, salt, onion and garlic powder.
5. Cover casserole dish and bake for 15 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 5 minutes.

What’s your favorite source for healthy recipes (besides this blog!)?

• http://fillsout.blogspot.com/ Rajnish

Hey, Thanks for sharing this. I would like to tell you, This is extremely wonderful I really liked it.

I am looking for this from a long time. Thank you for this again.

Rajnish Kumar

• http://smilinggreenmom.com smilinggreenmom

Hey another midwest girl! Me too :) I love this recipe and would have to try it using Kamut Khorasan Wheat flour…and I would also like to use the pasta! We recently tried Kamut and love it! Thanks for this healthy recipe :)