Friday recipe: black bean soup

As the winter drags on, one of the things that keeps me sane (and warm) is soup. Lots and lots of soup. Some weeks I think I eat soup every day. I’m trying to be better about making soup rather than buying it in cans (as easy as it is to empty a can, it’s usually high in sodium, so read the labels before you buy!), and this recipe looks delicious!

What’s your go-to soup?

Black Bean Soup

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 (16-ounce) cans black beans, undrained
2 cloves of garlic, diced
1 (14 ½-ounce) can vegetable or chicken broth
3 cups medium or hot chunky salsa
Juice and grated peel of 1 lime
½ cup nonfat plain yogurt or fat free sour cream
Whole-wheat crackers

Directions: Cook onion, garlic and spices in oil in 4-quart saucepot over medium heat until onion is tender, about 3 minutes; remove from heat.

Puree the cans of beans and their liquid in batches with vegetable or chicken broth in electric blender; add to pot. Stir in salsa, lime juice and peel.

Heat mixture to boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Ladle 1 cup soup into bowl; top with dollop of yogurt or parmesan cheese.  Serve hot with whole-wheat crackers.

Makes 10 (1cup) servings.

Nutritional Info: Cal: 152; Fat: 2.5 g; Fiber: 7.5 g;

2 responses to “Friday recipe: black bean soup

1. Wow…even i have a similar liking towards soup.I too like to consume a lot of soup in winter.This is indeed a delicious recipe and the best thing about this one is the fact that it can be easily cooked.Thanks for giving the nutritional information too.Planning to try it out this weekend.Thanks.

2. Nothing beats having a bowl of hot soup especially during winter. I’m a Chinese and chinese especailly cantonese love soups. We prepare soups with herbs that are both nourishing and delicious.