Friday recipe: kidney bean and tuna salad

I’m a big fan of tuna salad. It’s super easy, inexpensive and healthy! Don’t let the kidney beans in the title of this recipe scare you. They are a harmless red bean that add bulk (and protein) to this super simple sandwich.

Kidney bean and tuna salad

Ingredients:

1 15 ½ oz. can kidney beans, drained
½ cup green pepper, chopped
1 6 ½ oz. can water packed tuna, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
3 tablespoon non-fat yogurt
½ cup chopped celery
3 tablespoon pickle relish

Mix together all ingredients and chill.

Serve on whole wheat pita, on crackers, or on a bed of crisp lettuce.

10 responses to “Friday recipe: kidney bean and tuna salad

1. That sounds really yummy! My tuna salad usually consists of relish, mayonnaise, boiled eggs, and celery, although sometimes I do add onions/green peppers. I will have to try adding the kidney beans though, because I eat a lot of bean protein as it is and I like the idea of adding the extra texture.

Is the main advantage of yogurt just that it acts as an alternative to mayonnaise or does it actually add a different flavor/texture?

2. My tuna salad consisted of water packed tuna, mayonnaise, boiled eggs, celery and sometimes onions. I saw your article yesterday, and today I added beans. All I can say is – excellent idea. It makes it so refreshing and it’s great source of proteins. Now, I can recommend it too!

3. My tuna salad consisted of water packed tuna, mayonnaise, boiled eggs, celery and sometimes onions. I saw your article yesterday, and today I added beans. All I can say is – excellent idea. It makes it so refreshing and it’s great source of proteins. Now, I can recommend it too!

4. My tuna salad consisted of water packed tuna, mayonnaise, boiled eggs, celery and sometimes onions. I saw your article yesterday, and today I added beans. All I can say is – excellent idea. It makes it so refreshing and it’s great source of proteins. Now, I can recommend it too!

5. My tuna salad consisted of water packed tuna, mayonnaise, boiled eggs, celery and sometimes onions. I saw your article yesterday, and today I added beans. All I can say is – excellent idea. It makes it so refreshing and it’s great source of proteins. Now, I can recommend it too!