Egg-cellent!

January 13, 2010 —

1236724_eggs_on_whiteThere are many things that I am thankful for this year, and one of them is having the Google search engine. Some people joke that they can’t cook or even know how to boil water. I thought making hard boiled eggs was something everyone knew how to do except me!

However, when I searched for “How to make hard boiled eggs,” I was surprised at how many different ways there are to do it confirming my notion that it is not as simple as it sounds. However, I did find a really simple, and relatively, fool-proof way to make hard boiled eggs and I haven’t had any problems with it. What’s your technique?

Here’s the one I’ve stuck with

1.       In whatever size pot that fits your eggs, start with filling it with COLD water then add your eggs (I usually cook 3-4 at a time, they’ll last up to 5 days in the fridge when cooked.)

2.       Bring the pot to a boil (salting the water helps decrease the boiling temp, so they say – I happen to do it out of habit.)

3.       When the water boils, turn off the heat and cover the pot with a lid.

4.       Let the eggs hang out in the pot for another 10-12 minutes.

5.       Rinse the eggs with COLD water.

6.       And like magic (more like science) your eggs should be hard boiled and edible (and you can easily remove the yolk to avoid the heavy cholesterol but still have the protein.)

Oh the amazing, incredible edible egg it is!

Tea Nguyen is a dual degree D.P.M./M.P.H. student at DMU. She was born in Utah but raised in California and left the great state to be at one of the best podiatry school in the country.

She has aspirations in international medical service trips and hopes to hit several continents during this lifetime. Traveling is also on the top of her to-do list and she often reminisces about her prior travels to Italy, France and Greece. She also enjoys eating adventures with her boyfriend Paul and is a major food-snacker. It is not uncommon to find her lapsed in a food coma in the middle of her studies.
  • Machelle

Yep. That’s exactly how my mother-in-law taught me to boil eggs. And…if you are peeling them all at once, drain the water out, leave the eggs in the pan, hold the lid on tightly with both hands & shake the devil out of it! The shells ALMOST fall off the eggs! I saw this on Rachel Ray. It works!

• Dustin

” (salting the water helps decrease the boiling temp, so they say – I happen to do it out of habit.)”

Actually salting the water(ie, adding a lower vapor pressure solute to a solvent) raises the boiling point. The added salt lowers the vapor pressure thereby requiring more energy for the state change to occur. Depending on the amount of salt, altitude, etc, the change in temperature is somewhere in the range of 100C to 103C. The converse is also true-that salt will lower the freezing point.