Friday Recipe: Chicken Enchiladas

July 24, 2009 —

2658544348_bcf5aa96d4

If I’m actually going to take time to cook, I like to make something that has plenty of leftovers. These enchiladas last me and my husband for several meals–and they only get better with time! My goal is to make them Sunday so we can eat them during the week.

To make the enchiladas even healthier, I like to use whole-wheat tortillas and limit the cheese and sour cream.

Don’t be overwhelmed by the long list of the ingredients. Most of the items you should have on hand. If you use a roasted chicken the enchiladas only take about 15 minutes to get ready.

Chicken Enchiladas
·    1 onion, diced
·    5 garlic cloves, minced
·    3 Tbsp. olive oil
·    1 Roasted chicken
·    1 ½ cups of frozen corn
·    16 oz can diced chilies
·    28 oz. can of stewed tomatoes
·    3 tsp. ground cumin
·    3 tsp. chili powder
·    Salt and pepper to taste
·    28 oz. can Red enchilada sauce
·    1 cup shredded cheese
·    Corn or flour tortillas
·    Black olives (optional)

1. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
2. While onion and garlic are sautéing, shred the entire roasted chicken with a knife and fork. (Fingers are easier)
3. After onion and garlic is done sautéing, throw in 1 ½ cups of frozen corn.
4. Add peppers and stewed tomatoes into onion, garlic, and corn mixture – let simmer.
5. Throw roasted chicken in a bowl and mix in cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper.
6. Put seasoned, shredded chicken into corn, jalapeno and tomato mixture.
7. Pour enchilada sauce in the bottom on your 9X13 casserole dish to coat the bottom, but save enough to pour on top of enchiladas.  Then put one heaping Tablespoon of mixture into tortillas.  Fold it up, flip it over and stick it in the pan.
8. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the enchiladas.
9. Sprinkle with cheese.
10. Put enchiladas into the oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Photo by kanthony39us