Savin’ sense

coin-jar1Bad economy and recessionista – anyone else tired of hearing these terms?

We’re all tired of the reports, I suppose but that doesn’t mean we don’t want to still save money! Handily, Juice has a whole feature this week on saving money. Luckily we live in a state with a lower cost of living than the rest of the country which helps out a ton. Other things that help out…. a page with local coupons, and a whole network for Des Moines folks interested in being fiscally-thrifty. Here’s a blog with local deals. Des Moines Families always has great tips and deals too! The Register also pulled together a list of all free events!

For online shopping discounts, I’d recommend RetailMeNot or FatWallet.

Local things I know of…  free or $1 movies at Nova Cinema or outdoorsfree city wading pools for kids, $1 days at the I Cubs, $5 tunes & mingling for adults at Fridays @ the Fountain or Clive After Five or free outdoor tunes at Jasper Winery or Music in the Junction.

5 responses to “Savin’ sense

1. Great resource! We’ve cut back on our weekly grocery budget from $80 to $20 for the two of us. Not sure how long we can last but we’ve definitely increased our carbs (rice & pasta) in our meals. This week, we were able to save $60 on groceries. We’re also forced to be creative and I chucked out a crepe recipe for snacking with my bananas. Good stuff can be cheap stuff.