Tapas review by Tea

October 23, 2008 —

And in this week’s series of Tea’s Eating Adventures…

Paul, my boyfriend, and I really enjoy exploring new restaurants in Des Moines. This past weekend, we adventured into the modern day concept of tapas (small dishes) at a place called Trostel’s Dish in Clive. Although the term tapas originates from Spain meaning appetizers, Trostel’s features American, European, Asian, Spanish and Latin inspired foods meant to be sampled in smaller portions.

Between the two of us, we shared six different dishes, which included (ranked from yummy to not-so-yummy):

-Tequila Lime Shrimp

-BBQ Beef Short Rib

-Pommes Frites

-Guinness Marinated Skirt Steak

-Chicken Chili Rellano (probably Spanish)

-Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia with Harissa Sauce

My most favorite dish would have to be between the BBQ Beef Short Rib they slathered in Jack Daniel’s sauce and the Tequila Lime Shrimp that sat on top of a bed of avocado risotto. I have to admit that these dishes weren’t exactly perfect, in that the BBQ beef was unusually salty and the shrimp was quite dry. However, if I had the choice to order a repeat dish, it would definitely be the avocado risotto minus the six puny shrimps that came with it.

My least favorite dishes would be the two from the Spanish menu. The skirt steak was a bit bland and the cornmeal tilapia topped with BBQ-flavored sauce was pretty plain. Well, Paul ate the whole thing so I guess it wasn’t too bad.

I ended up spending around $55 and would probably rank this restaurant as a place you should try at least once. It was a fun atmosphere but I don’t see myself coming here again (unless they offered an all you can eat avocado risotto option, which is unlikely.) The food was pretty though!

Tea Nguyen is a dual degree D.P.M./M.P.H. student at DMU. She was born in Utah but raised in California and left the great state to be at one of the best podiatry school in the country.

She has aspirations in international medical service trips and hopes to hit several continents during this lifetime. Traveling is also on the top of her to-do list and she often reminisces about her prior travels to Italy, France and Greece. She also enjoys eating adventures with her boyfriend Paul and is a major food-snacker. It is not uncommon to find her lapsed in a food coma in the middle of her studies.

• http://www.simplybarcelonatickets.com Barcelona Tickets

Those look quite a bit different to the tapas we get in Spain! You didn’t say in the article but the original idea was to provide small plates to cover your drink with and prevent flies etc getting in. I don’t know at what point they decided to put food on the plates, but it was a good one, although it usually costs more to eat tapas than go to a restaurant for a 3 course meal. And while the plate may stop flies getting in your drink, I don’t know how you prevent flies attracted by the food on your plate :)