|Groups and committees||
|Area of Expertise||Clinical Practice:
|Professional Organizations, Committees and Boards||
Chambers was born and raised in Marshalltown, Iowa. She attended Iowa State University and Marshalltown Community School of Nursing. After working in long-term care, intensive/cardiac care and telemetry units in Marshalltown, Waterloo, and Des Moines, she worked as an R.N. in the Des Moines University Clinic for three years. She graduated from the DMU physician assistant program in 1992 and started working for Iowa Health Physicians Family Medicine Clinic in West Des Moines, IA.
In November 1994, she became a member of the PA program faculty and has continued to work part-time at Iowa Health Physicians. She received her M.P.H. degree after six years and graduated in 2001 with the inaugural class of the program at DMU. Currently, she serves the PA program as the clinical outcomes coordinator.
Chambers was one of the founding members of the College of Health Sciences alumni council board in 2005. Since that time, she has continued to serve on the board and is a two-term board president, 2007-08, 2008-09.
In addition to her DMU Alumni Association activities, she volunteers her time with DMU student activities, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Patient Services Committee, Southeast Polk High School, the Pre-PA Club at Iowa State University, Polk County 4-H, Iowa Republican Party, and the Central Application Service for Physician Assistant Program Advisory Committee for the Physician Assistant Education Association. She also serves on one of the PANRE committees for the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants which helps write the national recertification exams.
Awards and honors
- DMU Alumni Association, Board of Directors, 2013, Vice President
- DMU, CHS Alumna of the Year 2011
- Pi Alpha Honor Society
- Alpha Eta National Honor Society
Assisting Carla Stebbins, MHA program director, with a research project that is studying PA student personality types
Submitted a partial book chapter for a book update. The topics I authored are functional ovarian cysts, fibrocystic breast disease and endometriosis. The name of the book is Physician Assistant Handbook. The book was published in April 2004 and is currently in print.
- 2014 2 day presentation for PAEA, PA Program Admissions personnel, Admissions Workshop in Washington, DC.
- PAEA Education Forum, Admissions Certification Program (10 hour program for new admissions personnel in physician assistant programs around the country) in conjunction with two other PA Program faculty 2013
- PAEA Education Forum, “Admissions Personnel Networking Session” coordinator – 2013
- PAEA Education Forum, “Admissions Best Practices, round table discussions on various topics (my table addressed interview techniques) – 2012
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, lecture on “Blood Cancers, the basics” to survivor group and again to a support group – 2012