|Awards and honors|
|Areas of Expertise|
|Clinical Practice||Outpatient orthopedics, Mercy South Physical Therapy Clinic, 3310 SW 9th St., Des Moines IA.|
|Professional Organizations, Committees and Boards|
I am completing 2 projects on patient outcomes: The evaluation of gait, function and activity level in patients post Total Hip Arthroplasty and the comparison of different aquatic physical therapy interventions in elderly patients with balance deficits. I am involved in new two projects; assessing the flipped classroom experience and the use of yoga in physical therapy practice.
- IOER – Covill L, Utley C, Hochstein C The comparison of aquatic physical therapy interventions in elderly patients with balance problems: Ai Chi, multisystem aquatic program and conventional aquatic exercise-$9287, Jan 1 2011
- Iowa Physical Therapy Foundation Research Grant – Covill L, Utley C, Hochstein C; The comparison of aquatic physical therapy interventions in elderly patients with balance problems: Ai Chi, multisystem aquatic program and conventional aquatic exercise-$3409, Jan 18, 2011
- Vardaxis V, Covill L. Pain Effects and Activity Profiles of Hip Osteoarthritis Patients. In Papanikos GT ed. Physical Education and Learning. Athens Institute for Education and Learning, 2013 pp. 1-12
- Covill LG, Petersen SM. Upper extremity neurodynamic tests: Range of motion asymmetry may not indicate impairment. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice. 2012 Oct: 28 (7): 535-41.
- Petersen SM, Covill LG. Reliability of the radial and ulnar nerve biased upper extremity neural tissue provocation tests. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice. 2010; 26(7):476-482.
- Covill L, Ronnebaum J. Mobilization of patients status post-acute ischemic stroke treated with tissue plasminogen activator: using the evidence for clinical decision making. Dec 2008 Acute Care Perspectives
- Vardaxis V, Patel1 D, Schultze K, Covill L, Nettrour J, Mahoney C. Postural Control in Hip Osteoarthritis Patients Before and After Total Hip Arthroplasty. 7th World Conference of Biomechanics. July 6-11, 2014, Boston MA
- Covill L, Vardaxis V. Evaluation of Dynamic Lower Extremity Stiffness in patients post Total Hip Arthroplasty- APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Jan. 21-24, 2013 San Diego, CA
- Vardaxis V, Covill L, Koepp L, Nettrour J, Mahoney C. Bilateral lower extremity stiffness during transition from stair descent to level walking in unilateral total hip arthroplasty patients and controls. European Society of Movement Analysis for Adults and Children, September 12-15, 2012, Stockholm, Sweden
- Weir J, Stachowiak K, Swinton S, Majewski E, Covill L. Inter-limb force differences during bilateral leg press strength testing: Magnitude and reliability. National Strength and Conditioning Association, July 11-14, 2012
- Vardaxis V, Covill L, Nettrour J, Mahoney C. Lower extremity EMG Co-Activation Patterns due to Hip Arthritis- International Society of Biomechanics, July 3-7, 2011 Brussels, Belgium
- Vardaxis V, Covill L. Pain Effect on Physical Activity Profiles of Hip Osteoarthritis Patients – 7th Annual International Conference on Kinesiology and Exercise Sciences: June 27-30, 2011 Athens Greece
- Covill L, Vardaxis V. Activities levels of patients post hip arthroplasty. 3rd International Conference on Ambulatory Monitoring of Physical Movement, Amherst MA June 17-18 2013
- Koepp, L, Covill L, Nettrour J, Mahoney C, Vardaxis V. Lower extremity stiffness during transition from stair descent to walking in unilateral THA subjects. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Jan. 21-24, 2013 San Diego, CA
- Covill L, Weir J, Augustin MM, Campbell KK. Preliminary analysis of Lower extremity force asymmetry during leg press exercise. – Combined Sections Meeting APTA: Feb 9-12 2011, New Orleans, LA
- Petersen S, Covill L. The upper extremity neurodynamic test: within subject limb differences. Combined Sections Meeting, APTA – February 2009, Las Vegas NV