|Awards and honors|
|Areas of Expertise|
|Professional Organizations, Committees and Boards|
Using the Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP)® and Clubhouse Model to educate faculty and students about mental illness and community based approaches to holistic treatment.
Implications of false positive Western Blot results for HIV testing. Research focused on developing increased racial and ethnic diversity in Iowa’s physician workforce by working to recruit additional minority students and faculty to DMU. This work has natural possibilities for expanding these issues at all health care training institutions.
Hypertension screening project focused primarily on African American males that frequent certain local barber shops. Long-term planning is to expand screening locations as well as add additional screening opportunities, such as diabetes and elevated lipids.
As a public health professional, my research interests are very broad. I am interested in community participation research in which local neighborhoods identify their most pressing needs to correct. Diabetes, childhood obesity, the effects of micro aggressions and sustained cortisol release on acute and chronic health conditions are also research interests of mine.
- Principle Investigator: Using the Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP®) and Clubhouse Model to educate Faculty and Students about Mental Illness and Community-based Approaches to Holistic Treatment—2014
- Co-Principle Investigator for a Polk County Betterment and American Heart Association Community Action grant to screen Des Moines African Americans for Hypertension: $13,500.00—2012-present
- Lead Volunteer for American Heart Association “Get To Goal”™ grant for screening and education activities for hypertension among Des Moines African Americans: $7,300.00—2012-2013
- Diversity Coordinator for the K-12 Recruitment Program Committee and the Cultural Competency & Health Literacy Content Committee for the DMU IA Basic Area Health Education Center Program grant—2007-2011
Publications in Progress
- Ensuring a Diverse Physician Workforce; Data Regarding Population Needs and Physician Supply – journal article submitted to the Journal of the American Osteopathic Association—2013
- Attitudes of Black and Hispanic DMU COM Students Regarding Their Significant Influences in Becoming Physicians—The Generational Passion Gap – journal article
- Biomedical Science and Public Health oral abstract session
- Cooking Demonstration and education on heart-healthy snacks for the American Heart Association at the Corinthian Church
- Presented a lecture titled “Your Diet and Wellness: Good, Bad or Fantastic,” at the Central Area Boulé
- Panel member for a discussion about the Affordable Health Care Act at the 120th Medical, Dental and Pharmaceutical Association Scientific Session & National Medical Association Region V Conference
- Presentation to 120th Medical, Dental and Pharmaceutical Association Scientific Session & National Medical Association Region V Conference titled “What Do You Know about the Affordable Health Care Act?”
- Guest MC at Creative Vision’s “Step N The Name of Heart” Step A Thon event. I gave a presentation titled “The Importance of Taking Responsibility for our own Health and the Outcomes of the Affordable Health Care Act.”
- Lecture titled “Deep Venous Thrombus (DVT): Looks Just Like You and Me” presented to the annual PA Conference