|Awards and honors|
|Areas of Expertise|
|Professional Organizations, Committees and Boards|
Dr. Stebbins is an associate professor within the Master of Health Care Administration Program teaching in the areas of marketing, management, leadership and communication. Before joining the University in 1992, she spent years working in various management and senior management positions. In 1999, Carla accepted a faculty position within the MHA program and in 2004 she accepted the director position and lead the program to unprecedented growth. Carla serves on several committees for national associations serving health care administration education. In addition, she has actively served on a number Program and University committees regarding accreditation, outcomes assessment and program development to name a few.
Dr. Stebbins is a qualified administrator of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and an experienced facilitator of FLEX Care: Health care communication skills using personality type. She coordinates and provides MBTI & Flex Care training to DMU clinical and non-clinical degree students and serves as a faculty for the Iowa Chronic Care Consortium’s, Clinical Health Coach program providing Flex Care and leadership training to practicing health care professionals around the country.
Dr. Stebbins research interests surround empathy and the physician—patient relationship, leadership, communication, and student engagement/satisfaction. She has extensive experience in program development, web-based course delivery and student learning assessment.
- IOER (Iowa Osteopathic Education and Research) Education Grant: Project to Enhance Communication, $23,058 Funded
- Dean’s Award for Research in Education(DARE): Podcasting In Medical Education: Efficacy and Utility, $9,580 Funded
- Pearson, K. and Stebbins, C. MHA/DPM Alums Perceived Value of the Clinical Dual Degree Program. Journal of the American Podiatric Association, January/February 2013.
Posters at Professional Meetings
- Stebbins CA. The Basis of Healing: Empathy and the patient-physician connection. International Conference on Communication in Healthcare, Verona Italy.
- Stebbins CA. Enhancing Interpersonal Communication Skills Using a Training Program Grounded in the MBTI©. International Conference on Communication in Healthcare, Oslo Norway.
- Stebbins CA. A Qualitative Approach to Exploring Leadership for Health Care Administration Students. Association of University Programs in Healthcare Administration Annual Meeting, Washington DC.
- Stebbins CA. Using Psychological Type Theory to Enhance Interpersonal Communication Skills with MHA Students, Association of University Programs in Healthcare Administration Annual Meeting, Washington DC.
Presentations at Professional Meetings
- Stebbins CA. FLEX Care™: A Groundbreaking Strategy to Improving Communication with Patients and Co-Workers. International Conference on Communication in Healthcare, Miami FL.
- Oetjen D, Shea D, and Stebbins CA. Integrating Community and Professional Service: A panel discussion. Association of University Programs Healthcare Administration, Doctoral Student/Early Careerist Colloquy, Chicago, IL.
- Stebbins CA. Introduction to Psychological Type & Management 101. St. Jude Hospital leadership team and department directors, St. Lucia.
- Stebbins CA. An Introduction to Emotional Intelligence (EQ): Accessing your best performance! 2010 Iowa/Nebraska Primary Care Association Annual Conference, Lake Rathbun, IA.
- Stebbins CA. Introduction to FLEX Care™: A Groundbreaking Strategy to Improving Communication with Patients and Co-Workers. Iowa Pharmacy Association Expo, Des Moines, IA.
- Stebbins CA. Introduction to FLEX Care™: A Groundbreaking Strategy to Improving Communication with Patients and Co-Workers. Iowa Healthcare Collaborative, Medical Home Learning Community, Johnston IA.
- Stebbins CA and Nordengren F. FLEX Care™: A Groundbreaking Strategy to Improving Communication with Patients and Co-Workers. American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation 24th Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh PA.
- Stebbins CA. FLEX Care™: Interpersonal Communication Training. State of Iowa Long Term Care Ombudsman, Des Moines IA