Congratulations on your acceptance to the doctor of physical therapy program at DMU – we hope you’re excited to join us in August! Because we know this process can be overwhelming, we’ve put together a quick guide to help you know when and what to expect until orientation.
A non-refundable deposit of $250.00 is required to secure your seat in the class. Please refer to your deadline which is listed on your Conditions of Enrollment Agreement. The seat deposit not only secures your seat in the class, but also opens your account at DMU and is credited towards your tuition.
Submit your seat deposit online
Conditions of enrollment agreement
As a follow up to your acceptance email, you were sent a Conditions of Enrollment Agreement via email. The requirements laid out on this document are truly the conditions of your enrollment and must be completed by the due dates listed. Please read this document very carefully and return a signed copy to the admissions office by the deadline listed. As you are responsible for completing the tasks as outlined, you’ll want to keep a copy of this for yourself.
*If you have outstanding prerequisite coursework to be completed, you must have a plan in place to complete this prior to the start of classes. Please contact the admissions office immediately if you foresee difficulty in completing all conditions in time.
Things to look for in spring 2016
New Student Pulse and email
Beginning in early 2016, incoming students will receive information on how to access Pulse (DMU’s intranet) and your DMU email address. This information will be emailed to you, so be sure to keep this information safe. Pulse is your go-to spot for all types of information including:
- Financial aid: Detailed information will be available on Pulse beginning in April 2016. We recommend you wait until you’ve filed your 2015 taxes to get started on your FAFSA. Also, your parent’s tax info is only necessary if you are planning to apply for Pell Grants.
- Background checks:All accepted students will be required to pay for and complete a criminal background check prior to matriculation, and during each year of enrollment at Des Moines University. Applicants and enrolled students may also be subject to drug testing. It is important to be forthcoming during each phase of the application process, including the primary application, interview and acceptance phases. Applicants are required to disclose all past or present charges, convictions, dismissals, deferred judgments and expunged records as related to a misdemeanor or felony. A pending charge which results in a conviction must be reported immediately to the university. You are required to inform the university of any charges or convictions which occur following completion of the initial criminal background check. Any findings during the application process will be reviewed by Admissions staff and college officials. Failure to disclose information may result in the rescinding of an admissions offer. You will receive instructions on how to complete the background check in April 2016.Acceptance for enrollment by DMU does not guarantee your acceptance by clinical training sites or post-graduate residency programs. Graduates may also be required to disclose criminal background check information to state licensing boards.
- Physical examination/laboratory tests and immunizations: You must submit a current physical examination, certain laboratory tests and immunization records prior to matriculation. This detailed information will be located on Pulse.
- Health insurance: Students are required to carry health insurance. Students who do not select an option regarding their health insurance will be automatically enrolled in the DMU program and charged the annual premium. Coverage for incoming students will not begin until August. Specific details of the health insurance requirements will be available on Pulse in May, and the sign-up/waiver period will take place throughout the summer.
- Technical Standards for Admission: Students must be able to meet the technical standards for education at DMU either with or without accommodation. The Technical Standards form will be available on Pulse this summer, but you may review the standards online here: https://www.dmu.edu/pt/admission-requirements/technical-standards/
And into summer…
Housing is abundant in the Des Moines area, and students in the past have found the best time to check out apartments is April-May. DMU does not own any dorms or residence halls, so students are responsible for locating their own housing arrangements. To help you out, Pulse contains the “DMU classifieds” which is a great place to post if you’re looking for a roommate or somewhere to live. In fact, more than 60% of students surveyed said they used this system to locate their roommate or living arrangements! The University acts solely as a facilitator in hosting this forum.
DMU has a one-time $220 parking fee. Cars can be registered on Pulse in the weeks prior to Orientation.
In your first year, tuition will be collected in two equal payments, in August and January. Tuition and fees are established by the University’s Board of Trustees each spring and collected by the Accounting Office. 2015-2016 D.P.T. annual tuition was $23,240. (Tuition and fees are subject to change.)
Books and equipment
Required and recommended textbooks and equipment are available from Matthews Bookstore on campus. We urge you to not purchase books until you get the list during orientation and see exactly what is required, recommended and which editions will be used.
Please plan to attend mandatory sessions beginning Monday, August 1 through Friday, August 5, 2016. The full schedule of events will be available on Pulse in early summer. At orientation you can expect to meet your classmates and advisor, learn how to navigate the transition to physical therapy school, technology overview, professional integrity code, attend class meetings and learn about all the essentials at DMU.
Classes are tentatively scheduled to begin August 5, 2016.
View a typical PT student schedule
We look forward to seeing you in August! Email us with any questions.