Excellence for over 100 years
Since 1898, Des Moines University has a long history of success in educating health care professionals in a hands-on, collaborative environment.
What's new at DMU?
- For the last 2 years, DMU has been planning the medical and health sciences university of the future. The new campus, located on 88 acres in West Des Moines, will advance the education transformation the University envisions.
- DMU is pleased to announce the launch of a new Doctor of Occupational Therapy (OTD) program.
- The Master of Science in Anatomy program has added a thesis track, ideal for individuals wanting to matriculate into PhD programs.
- Keep watch for Spring Preview event dates to be confirmed. These events are designed for prospective students to have an opportunity to learn more about DMU, how to create a competitive application, interview success, and the details of the program's application process.
- The interview experience for all programs now occurs online through a twofold process. Candidates begin with an asynchronous assessment through Kira Talent. They will be asked a series of questions and given prep time and a set amount of time to respond. After completing the Kira Talent assessment, candidates will receive additional information on how to participate in a small group experience with faculty and students. Conducted via Zoom, this gives candidates an opportunity to share more information about themselves and talk with members of the DMU family.
graduate degree programs in medicine and the health sciences
approximate total student enrollment
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should my student choose DMU?
- Consistently high board pass rates, employment and residency placement.
- Nine graduate degree programs in medicine and the health sciences.
- Supportive, collaborative environment with highly accessible faculty.
- Rigorous and hands-on education.
- Excellent facilities and technology.
- Outstanding library, counseling, peer tutoring and study skills services.
- Opportunities for research and global health service trips.
- Located in a thriving, growing and affordable metropolitan city.
Resources for shadowing experiences
What makes a competitive applicant?
DMU uses a process of holistic review for applicants. Academic metrics, volunteerism, exposure to health care professions, research, leadership, a strong personal statement and letters of recommendation are all important. An early application can be an advantage.
View Prerequisites and Class Profiles
What about medical experience?
In most cases, hours spent with a variety of patient populations strengthen an application.
- The doctor of osteopathic medicine program
prefers exposure to patient care.
- The physician assistant program requires hands-on care of patients (as a CNA, EMT, etc.).
- The doctor of podiatric medicine prefers shadowing of podiatric physicians.
- The doctor of physical therapy program requires shadowing a licensed DPT.
- For DMU’s non-clinical programs, experience
in the specific field is beneficial.
View Undergraduate Timeline