Mission: We are committed to improving the overall health among LGBT Iowans through education, public awareness, and resources.
Description: The coalition meets monthly to discuss issues related to the health and well-being of LGBT Iowans.
General Information: If you are interested in donating time or resources, if you’d like to join the coalition, or if you have a project you’d like to collaborate on, please contact Daniel Hoffman-Zinnel, Chair, LGBT Health Initiative at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Coffee and tea will be available.
|10 a.m.||Overview of LGBT Health: Panel Discussion|
Cancer in the LGBTQ Community
Promoting Healthy Relationships and Positive, Consensual Sexuality in the LGBT Community
Community HIV/Hepatitis Advocates of Iowa Network
Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional: Coming Out in Midlife and Mental Health Issues for LGBT People: Adolescence through Older Adulthood
|12 p.m.||Yoga and Lunch
Lunch is on your own. Participants may visit the DMU Summerfield’s cafteria or local establishment.
|1 p.m.||iO Tillett Wright: Fifty Shades of Gay (Video)
“Artist iO Tillett Wright has photographed 2,000 people who consider themselves somewhere on the LBGTQ spectrum and asked many of them: Can you assign a percentage to how gay or straight you are? Most people, it turns out, consider themselves to exist in the gray areas of sexuality, not 100% gay or straight. Which presents a real problem when it comes to discrimination: Where do you draw the line?”
We hope you’ll find it interesting and inspiring as we all work toward equality.
Growing up GLBTQ; Drinking/Drugging, The Risks & Solutions!
LGBTQ Youth and Health
LGBT Cultural Competency 101
Grief in the Lives of Older Lesbians
Beverages and snacks will be available.
|2:30 p.m.||Keynote Address
Policy and LGBT Health
- Educate health care professionals and clinics, faith/community organizations, in cultural competency for LGBTQ people.
- Educate members of the LGBTQ community on methods to assist clinics and health professionals in becoming culturally competent to LGBTQ people.
- Offer networking opportunities for attendees.
- Increase resource availability throughout the state.
- Address specific needs of LGBTQ people who are also of a racial or ethnic group.
In an effort to go green, the conference materials will be available for download. Prior to the conference, attendees will be emailed a URL to access the materials. Please feel free to bring your laptop or tablet with you to the meeting. Internet is available compliments of Des Moines University and a power source is available at each attendee seat.
Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/lgbthealthia
Twitter – https://twitter.com/LGBTHealthIA
Includes beverages, afternoon snack, and a certificate of participation. Lunch is the responsibility of the attendee.
Interested in receiving a registration waiver to attend the conference? 10 waivers will be given courtesy of the GLBT Health Initiative Coalition. Please express your interest on the registration form and you will be contacted within five (5) business days.
- All cancellations/refund requests (minus a 25% administrative fee), must be received in writing at least seven (7) business days prior to the CME activity starting date.
- For cancellations received less than seven (7) business days prior to the activity starting date, a 50% administrative fee will apply.
- You may transfer your registration fee to a colleague if you contact the DMU CME office three (3) business days prior to the activity starting date.
- Individuals who fail to attend the activity (no-shows) will not be entitled to any refund. Forfeited fees may not be applied to subsequent activities.
Hyatt Place Des Moines/Downtown
418 6th Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309, USA
- DMU discount on standard rooms (based on availability)
- Complimentary WiFi, hot breakfast
Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel
401 Locust Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Toll free: 1-800-514-4706
- DMU discount on standard rooms (based on availability)
- Complimentary WiFi
Des Moines Marriott – Downtown
700 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Welcome to Des Moines
In Des Moines, you can experience the excitement of the city and explore rural Iowa’s charming beauty. Connecting with your peers, shopping, food and activities make great memories. This affordable, cosmopolitan city has an impressive blend of world class art and premier attractions, such as the Science Center of Iowa and the Pappajohn Sculpture Park. Miles of trails to walk or cycle allow you to see the city and the beauty of its rivers and parks ~ just steps away from the conference. Bicycles are available for rent through the BCycle program! When it comes to dining, our city offers incredible food prepared by talented chefs. You will experience some of the finest tasting pork to Tai pizza. Another added benefit is downtown’s four-mile, climate-controlled skywalk system (the largest skywalk system per capita in the world), our booming suburbs, and unique shopping in the East Village. Greater Des Moines is a growing metropolis with an array of attractions and entertainment in a setting that boasts a rich history, a thriving present and a very bright future, all while maintaining a special charm that touches all who visit. Learn more about Des Moines at the following websites:
- City of Des Moines
- See Des Moines official visitor guide
- Downtown Farmer’s Market
- TripAdvisor – Des Moines
Des Moines University (DMU) prohibits discrimination in employment, educational programs, and activities on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or associational preference. The University also affirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities and equal access to University facilities. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to attend DMU sponsored events. If you have questions/concerns, please contact the DMU Continuing Medical Education office at 515-271-1596 or email@example.com.