Who benefits from earning an M.P.H. at DMU?
Current professionals – Individuals who are currently employed within public health or the health care system. These individuals often want to earn the M.P.H. to advance with their current employment or to support their leadership role and experiences with formal education.
Career changers – The M.P.H. degree allows students who have work experience in another field to bridge the gap into a successful career in public health.
Recent college graduates – The M.P.H. degree offers significant opportunities for students just out of undergraduate school. With the non-traditional course format, recent grads can use their daytime hours to begin working full or part-time, volunteer with public health organizations, participate in research with M.P.H. faculty and study.
Clinical dual degree students – Clinical students often find a degree in M.P.H. to be beneficial for their future career. A clinical degree prepares the students to work with patients one-on-one, but the M.P.H. prepares students to affect the health of a community.
|Applications in 2012-13|
|Total Applications: 150|
|Total Acceptances: 65|
|Average student age: 34. Age range: 21-63.|
|Average GPA: 3.40|
|Education: 28 percent have already earned a doctorage degree; 14 percent have earned a master’s degree|
|The program has nearly 150 active students.|
|The majority of students complete their degree entirely online and are employed while earning their degree.|
|40 students graduated from the program in 2013.|
|Students reside throughout the U.S. and in foreign countries as well.|
|25 percent of students identify as ethnic minorities.|
In what fields are students and graduates employed?
- Public health departments
- Local, state and federal government
- Schools and research organizations
- Long-term care facilities
- Managed care systems
- Health consulting
Examples of positions held by current students
- Agriculture specialist
- Community health consultant
- Health educator
- Health promotion coordinator
- Medical policy research analyst
- Pediatric injury prevention coordinator
- Podiatric surgeon
- Project manager
- Registered Nurse
- Risk management specialist
- Vaccine education specialist
- Veterinary toxicologist
Examples of employers of recent students
- Blank Children’s Hospital, Des Moines
- Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation
- County and State Departments of Health/Depts of Public Health
- Iowa Department of Public Health
- Johns Hopkins HealthCare LLC
- Marshalltown Medical & Surgical Center
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Planned Parenthood
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency
- U.S. Federal Aviation Administration
- U.S. National Park Service
- U.S. Public Health Service
- Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield