David Vellinga, M.H.A., president and chief executive officer of Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines since 1998, was appointed to the Des Moines University board of trustees during the board’s December meeting.
Vellinga has also been CEO of Mercy Health Network since 2000. Prior to being at Mercy, he was president and chair of the board at Trinity Health International in Michigan and president and CEO of North Iowa Mercy Health Center in Mason City, IA. He has served on a number of boards, including of the Iowa Hospital Association, Bankers Trust, Delta Dental of Iowa and Wellmark Health Plans of Iowa. He is a member of the Greater Des Moines Committee, Downtown Community Alliance and Iowa Business Council. He is involved in the American College of Healthcare Executives and American Hospital Association. Vellinga was named “Best CEO” in the Des Moines Business Record annual readers’ poll in 2001, 2002, 2006 and 2009.
Six current DMU trustees also recently were reappointed to three-year terms: Dale Andres, D.O.; James Grekin, D.O.; Dean Hannam; Brian Hart; C. Arthur Wittmack; Patty Yungclas.
Board officers for 2010-11 are as follows:
• Chair, James Grekin, D.O., FACOI, retired internal medicine physician, Farmington Hills, MI
• Chair-elect, Larry Baker, D.O., medical director, department of emergency medicine, Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Des Moines
• Vice chair, C. Arthur Wittmack, chair of Neumann Brothers Inc., Des Moines
• Treasurer, Stephen Morain, J.D., retired general counsel, Iowa Farm Bureau Federation, Waukee, IA
• Secretary, Richard Kotz, D.O., retired physician, Des Moines
• Immediate past chair, Max McKinney II, D.O., retired physician, Farmington Hills, MI