Section Menu

Master of Biomedical Sciences

Tuition and budget

When budgeting for graduate school you need to factor in the cost of tuition and the cost of living. To figure out what you’ll need, we’ve created a budget. We took tuition, added in the average cost of living in Des Moines, the cost of books and equipment, health insurance, food, transportation and other personal expenses. Each student is allowed to receive funding (from all resources i.e.: loans, scholarships, etc.) up to the budget. We used federal guidelines, so the amount represents the maximum funding you can receive. Budgets are adjusted each academic year to reflect any necessary changes. Des Moines University is a private institution and has the same tuition for in-state and out-of-state students.

Cost of attendance budget 2014-2015

Budget subject to change 


Full Time
Minimum 9 credit hours
(5 months)

Half Time
Minimum 5 credit hours
(5 months)

Living Expenses (rent, food, utilities, phone, personal) $7,240 $3,622  
Health Insurance $1,192 $1,192  
Transportation $1,713 $856  
Books* $300 $150  
Tuition $560 per credit hour $560 per credit hour  
Fees* –  Background Check $60 $60  
Estimated Fees withheld from loans $167 $93  

*Graduation fee added in last term.

The total cost of attendance budget is the maximum amount of resources (i.e. -scholarships, loans, grants, etc.) that a student may receive.  If a student receives a late award (loan, scholarship, grant, etc.) the financial aid package is recalculated.  If possible, second disbursements are lowered, if not the late award is sent to the lender to reduce the amount of student loans.

For new students, relocation to Des Moines is an expense incurred prior to the program and cannot be included in this budget.  You should budget $1,250 for a single student and $1,800 or more for a family.

Keep in mind that according to Federal regulations, the budget is constructed for a single student only.

Day care for dependent children can be claimed as an expense for each child (see Daycare Expense Form).  Spouse must be employed or in school full time.  Budget increase for additional loan funds may be subject to credit approval.  Request a Dependent Day Care Expense form from the Financial Aid Office.