Community News and Updates

LACE UP: It’s walk/run season!

As the flowers peek through, the calendar starts to fill up. There are SO many fun outdoor activities. Here’s a few coming up for great causes…. April 2, DMU is the host site of the annual AIDS Project’s 5k walk/run. Be warned, it’s hilly! April 2, this isn’t a run/walk but sounds fun…  Couture for […]

— Courtney Tompkins

A benefit for the Red Cross in Japan

Yoshihiro Ozaki is a second-year osteopathic medicine student. He is a delightful student from Japan. I’ve been lucky enough to meet him and hear him play with the DMU chamber orchestra. He sent the following message around to a few folks on campus and I’d like to share it with you: As you know, Japan […]

— Courtney Tompkins

Won’t you be ours?

Happy valentine’s day, lovely readers! On this day of warm fuzzies and mushiness, let us be clear in how much we appreciate you all. Whether you are a student, staff member, grad, patient or friend of the University, we are thankful to have you in the DMU family! Now remember to spend some time with […]

— Courtney Tompkins

Tomorrow is February!

How crazy is it that we’re almost into the second month of 2011? Time is FLYING! If you want to prevent heartbreak, consider this your early reminder about Valentine’s Day… Significantly more important (long-term anyway!) is preventing heart disease. American Heart Association’s ‘Go Red for Women’ campaign asks you to sport their fave color THIS […]

— Courtney Tompkins

Fun event for a good cause!

Drake is hosting a trivia night on Feb. 4, starting at 7 p.m., to raise money for their Adult Literacy Center. The competition includes four rounds of multiple choice and three rounds of short answer questions. The final round will be held the next day at noon. Teams can be up to four players. It’s […]

— Courtney Tompkins

Blizzard bags

Everyone likes to wear jeans to work and everyone likes to help others in the community. This month DMU employees can do both, in combination! The Community Service Committee is selling casual day stickers in trade for items to put in blizzard bags. All the needed items are listed on the portal on the community […]

— Courtney Tompkins

The Shift before Christmas

Today, in the spirit of the season, I’d like to share a piece of poetry that I’ve just concluded as a departure from my usual blogging style. In recognition of the men and women who continue to work in EMS and emergency rooms across the country this holiday season, I’d like to present my latest […]

— Nathan McConkey

Happy thanksgiving!

Today I hope you are taking time to be thankful for your family, friends, home, job, education & the beauty around you. Take time to breath and appreciate. And have fun eating, playing/watching sports, shopping and enjoying the company of the ones you love! Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

— Courtney Tompkins

Thanksgiving plans?

Sometimes holiday plans are hard to schedule around school and students may not be able to travel home or make dinner on their own. For that reason, our Student Services department organizes a DMU Family Thanksgiving each year! The DMU celebration is on Thanksgiving and begins at 11:30, with dinner starting at 12:30. It’s a […]

— Courtney Tompkins

November is epilepsy month

How epilepsy-savvy are you? Take the quiz! I’d give you more info about what epilepsy is but then you’d have a foot up on the quiz so take it & report back on how you did! Help spread the word about epilepsy.

— Courtney Tompkins

Senior Health Fair

Saturday is a GREAT annual event at DMU — the Senior Health Fair! From 8 until noon, our students, along with some students from Drake & ISU, will give up their own time to help citizens 50 and older. I think students from all nine of our programs are involved in some way. Free screenings, […]

— Courtney Tompkins

New partnership with IA Dept. for Blind

Our third- and fourth-year osteopathic medical students do rotations through various medical specialties for hands-on learning. A new partnership between DMU and the Iowa Department for the Blind (IDB) will also allow our students two week rotations within IDB learning what it’s like to be blind. Our students will sit in classes alongside folks losing […]

— Courtney Tompkins