Eggplant smoosh, version 2

October 10, 2014 —

Roast these two beauties, then relish.

Roast these two beauties, then relish.

It’s that time of year when local farmers’ markets (as well as my spouse’s garden) are offering eggplant, one of my favorite veggies to roast. (Then again, I’m not sure I’ve met a vegetable I didn’t like roasted.) About a year ago, I posted to Dose of DMU a version of what I call eggplant smoosh, which is basically roasted eggplant and sweet potato smashed with together with spinach and seasonings. Since it’s the season when you can turn your oven on without suffering from the heat, here’s another version that pairs eggplants, tomatoes and – just because the garden is producing them plentifully, too – carrots.

Eggplant smoosh, version 2

• 3 medium eggplants, stems removed
  • 3 medium carrots, chunked
  • 3 ripe tomatoes, chunked (fine to switch out with an equivalent amount of halved cherry tomatoes)
  • 1-3 garlic cloves

Set oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil. Half the eggplants and place them face-down on the sheet along with the carrot chunks. Let roast for 45-60 minutes; cool.

In a food processor or blender, process the garlic cloves. Add the vegetables and process until of chunky salsa consistency. Add seasonings you like, too – cilantro, chili powder or cayenne would be good if  you like it hot; curry or turmeric would be delicious, too. Use as a dip or sandwich spread.