Friday recipe: blackberry sorbet

July 4, 2014 —

Happy July Fourth! I hope this finds you not tied to your computer, but instead enjoying the holiday’s parades, time with family and friends, and some backyard grilling and chillin’. This time of year I turn to meals that 1) don’t require me to slave over a hot stove or oven and that 2) involve ice cream. Yes, I’m a fool for my spouse’s homemade vanilla, which is a treat to enjoy in moderation because…um…well, it contains sugar. And heavy whipping cream. In other words, it’s definitely not conducive to squeezing into my swimsuit.

Photo: Prevention.com

Photo: Prevention.com

Still, deprivation is not my thing, either. That’s why this recipe from Prevention.com, which recently served up 13 summer fruit dessert recipes, caught my eye. Cold, creamy and quick to whip up, this one hits the spot as a healthful summer refresher.

Blackberry sorbet

• 1 pound frozen blackberries
  • 
½ cup fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt

• 2 tablespoons sugar

Place blackberries, yogurt, sugar and several tablespoons of water into a food processor; blend until pureed. Enjoy or freeze for later.

Nutrition info per one of five servings: 91 calories, 2 g protein, 21 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 17 g sugars, 0.5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 20 g sodium

Endlessly curious and easily entertained, Barb Dietrich Boose loves being a member of the friendly, fascinating DMU community and its creative communications team. The University's publications director and DMU Magazine editor, Barb is always on the hunt for story ideas, good books and new recipes to try out on her family, such as her surprisingly tasty pork-and-bean bars.