Friday recipe: colorful pad Thai

June 13, 2014 —

I’m not one to clutter up the kitchen with lots of gizmos and gadgets (well, other than our invaluable Cuisinart, garlic/ginger press, rice cooker – my spouse’s pick – and our must-have electric mixer), but I’ve been enjoying my latest equipment purchase, a Veggetti. This hand-held device lets you transform vegetables into spaghetti, which is great for someone like me who doesn’t like pasta but does crave sauce. (Note: Despite the Veggetti website’s claim it isn’t available in stores, I’ve seen them in my local Walgreen’s.)Veggetti

My first Veggetti dish consisted of a yellow squash sliced into noodles – squoodles? – and then lightly sautéed for a few minutes with a scant tablespoon of the heavenly ginger sesame oil from our local Vom Fass shop. (If you’ve not experimented with infused oils, I highly recommend it!)

Then my colleague Jordan shared a recipe from the Oh She Glows blog for “rad rainbow raw pad Thai,” which I’ve adjusted a bit below. Like pretty much any veggie salad, you could tailor this to your own tastes. For example, I served this over some spinach freshly plucked from the spouse’s garden. It would be delicious sprinkled with sunflower seeds or chopped peanuts for extra crunch. If the taste of toasted sesame oil is too strong for you (a little goes a long way), you could substitute your favorite-tasting oil. And, like most veggie salads – well, at least in  my cookbook – a squirt of Sriracha sauce in the dressing would be dandy, too.

Colorful pad Thai

• 1 medium zucchini, julienned or spiraled
  • 2 large carrots, julienned
  • 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
  • 3/4 cup frozen edamame, thawed
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced (optional, in my opinion)

Dressing:

• 1-2 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons pure maple syrup (or other sweetener)
  • 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger

Prep vegetables. Add the zucchini, carrots, pepper and cabbage into a large bowl; toss to combine.

Prepare the dressing by processing all dressing ingredients in a mini processor (or mince the garlic cloves and whisk ingredients by hand). The dressing will thicken as it sits.

Top the salad with edamame and dressing, mixing gently to combine.

Endlessly curious and easily entertained, Barb Dietrich Boose loves being a member of the friendly, fascinating DMU community and its creative communications team. The University's publications director and DMU Magazine editor, Barb is always on the hunt for story ideas, good books and new recipes to try out on her family, such as her surprisingly tasty pork-and-bean bars.