Friday recipe: rhubarb salsa

May 30, 2014 —

It’s that delightful time of year to breathe in the scent of lilacs, listen to the morning’s merry birdsong and make nice with someone, anyone, who has a rhubarb patch. I have the great good fortune of having such a connection, from whom I greedily acquired several pounds of this herbaceous perennial. With this embarrassment of rhubarb I made a strawberry-rhubarb crisp for my apartment-dwelling son, a rhubarb coffee cake for the office and – for me and me alone – this fabulous salsa. Rhubarb salsa

In addition to being delicious and nutritious, like most salsas this recipe is utterly adjustable. I’m heavy-handed when it comes to jalapeño and cilantro, but leave them out if they aren’t to your liking. You could use canned diced tomatoes or quartered cherry or grape tomatoes. Whole-kernel corn and some ground cumin would be good in this, too.

Rhubarb salsa

• 2 cups thinly sliced rhubarb
  • 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
  • 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
  • 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
  • 1 jalapeño pepper (or to taste), seeded and coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 3 roma tomatoes, finely diced
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 5 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
  • Ground black pepper

Stir rhubarb into a pot of boiling water and cook for 10 seconds. Quickly drain rhubarb and rinse with cold water until cool; transfer to a large bowl.

Place onion, bell peppers, jalapeño pepper and cilantro into a food processor and pulse three or four times to finely chop. Add to the rhubarb and still in the tomatoes.

In a small bowl, dissolve the brown sugar in the lime juice. Add the salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Stir lime juice mixture in the rhubarb mixture. Refrigerate at least three hours to blend flavors.