Friday recipe: spinach-apple-radish salad

May 23, 2014 —

I’m going to say it: After our brutally cold, seemingly endless winter, spring has officially sprung with warmer temperatures, neon-green grass, blooming flowers and happier people. I’m one of them, because I’m also enjoying the fruits – umm, vegetables – of my spouse’s labors in our garden, radishes and spinach.

Photo: Taste of Home

Photo: Taste of Home

I love the former for their tasty “zing” and crunch, and the latter for its rich, fresh flavor. Both are low in calories and high in nutrients and fiber. Spinach is a nondairy calcium source, so it will let you continue your bone-building during this National Osteoporosis Month. I’ve altered today’s recipe from Taste of Home to include both of these spring treats.

Spinach-apple-radish salad

• 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 cup diced unpeeled apple
  • 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • 2 cups torn fresh spinach
  • 2 culs torn romaine
  • 3/4 cup diced radishes

In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, salt and sugar; mix well. Add apple, onion and raisins; toss gently to coat. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.

Just before serving, combine spinach, romaine and radishes in a large salad bowl. Add dressing and toss.

Endlessly curious and easily entertained, Barb Dietrich Boose loves being a member of the friendly, fascinating DMU community and its creative communications team. The University's publications director and DMU Magazine editor, Barb is always on the hunt for story ideas, good books and new recipes to try out on her family, such as her surprisingly tasty pork-and-bean bars.