Friday recipe: bone-building salmon

April 25, 2014 —

May is National Osteoporosis Month, a campaign of the National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF) that strives to build awareness and action to promote bone health. Watch the DMU blog for informational posts on this serious disease of the bones in the weeks ahead as well as bone-healthy recipes, rich in bone-building calcium and vitamin D, beginning today and every Friday during May.

Feed your bones: May is National Osteoporosis Month.

In my quest for such recipes, I came across some offered by the International Osteoporosis Foundation, including the very intriguing-sounding dry coconut barfi, enfrijoladas and light quark mousse with caramelized pineapple skewers. Lacking confidence in my ability to translate grams into the proper American measurements, though, I turned to NOF’s website suggestions, which sounded like dishes I would eat but would be unlikely to actually make. (Note to self: Next time I’m in New York, go to Tangine Dining Gallery to feast on Chef Hamid Idrissi’s lamb tangine with prunes, almonds, sesame seeds and yogurt sauce.) I’m also not a huge consumer of eggs and cheese, which are ingredients in several bone-friendly recipes.

Finally I settled on this recipe for marinated salmon, which is an easy, quick and great way to kick off the spring grilling season.

What’s your favorite bone-feeding recipe?

Grilled Asian salmon

• 4 wild salmon steaks, 6 ounces each
  • 1/2 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon ginger root, grated
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons tomato paste
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • Black pepper to taste

Place the salmon in a zip-lock bag. Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Pour mixture in the bag and seal it, pressing out excess air. Marinate in the refrigerator 4-6 hours.

Prepare a grill. Remove the salmon from the bag, reserving the marinade. Place the salmon on the grill and cook, turning once, for about 5 minutes per side, or longer for well-done. For extra flavor, lightly drizzle a few tablespoons of the marinade on the salmon during grilling.

Nutritional info per serving: calories, 270; protein, 37g; total fat, 11g; saturated fat, 2g; cholesterol, 100mg; total carbohydrate, 2g; dietary fiber, 0g; sodium, 400mg