As posted previously on the Dose of DMU blog, osteopathic medical student Melissa Deer is working hard to raise funds to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS). If she raises the most in donations for the central Iowa LLS chapter by May 10, she’ll earn the chapter’s title of “Woman of the Year,” but that’s not what’s driving her goal. Rather, after interacting while on rotation last year with Ashley, a spunky, inspiring four-year-old struck by acute lymphoblastic leukemia, Deer became passionate about generating support for research on and the fight against blood cancers.
“After spending time with Ashley, I realized we have the ability to make a difference; it is up to us if and how we make that difference,” Deer states on her online fundraising page. “I have seen the toll that this disease can take on patients and their families. In this moment, we have the opportunity to work together to find a cure and make a difference for these patients and their families directly with your support.”
You can join this effort and support a great cause, all while having fun, by participating in Deer’s fundraising events. Despite this fourth-year student’s crazed schedule, she’s offering many options. Tonight (March 4) is “community night” at Ruby Tuesday’s, 4900 86th Street in Urbandale; when you tell the staff you’re “dining for Deer,” the restaurant will donate 20 percent of your tab to her campaign.
- March 7: $1 donated for every wedding day cupcake purchased at Scratch Cupcakery, 7450 Bridgewood Boulevard, West Des Moines
- March 8, noon-3 p.m.: Handbags for Hope, Exile Brewing Company, 1514 Walnut Street, Des Moines; cost: $15/person (includes brunch and one raffle ticket)
- March 8, 9:15 a.m.: Princess Party, La James International College, 6322 University Avenue, Cedar Falls (IA); cost: $20/each “princess” for a day of pampering
- March 12, 5-9 p.m.: Community Night at Sam and Louie’s, 8561 Hickman Road, Urbandale
- March 17, 5-9 p.m.: Community Night at Buffalo Wild Wings, 6925 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines
- March 23, 1-5 p.m.: Children’s carnival, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 8301 Aurora Avenue, Urbandale; cost: $40/child (includes all games, prizes and dinner catered by Jason’s Deli)
- March 27, 6 p.m: Wineglass painting at The Social Canvas, 720 SE Alice’s Road, Waukee (IA); cost: $35/person
- March 2, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.: Community Day brunch at Americana, 1312 Locust Street, Des Moines
- April 5, 1-4 p.m: Taste of Hope wine-tasting event at Trostel’s Greenbriar, 5810 Merle Hay Road, Johnston (IA), $50/person, preregistered; $75/person at the door (includes wine tasting, appetizers and educational session on wine pairing)
- April 10: Community Night at Jason’s Deli, 3910 University Avenue, West Des Moines
- April 12, noon: Flippy Cup Tournament, Benchwarmers Sports Bar and Grill, 705 S. Ankeny Boulevard, Ankeny (IA), $25/person, preregistered; teams of six.
- April 14: Community Night at Pizza Ranch, 448 SE University Avenue, Waukee (IA)
- April 26: Old-school keg party, Speck USA, 4100 Merle Hay Road, Suite B, Urbandale; cost: $50/person (includes barbecue and beer all night)
- April 28: Community Night at HuHot Mongolian Grill, 4100 University Avenue, West Des Moines
- April 29: Community Night at Spaghetti Works, 310 Court Avenue, Des Moines; please make reservations for seating in the restaurant’s back room
- May 8: Melissa Deer’s campaign wrap-up party, location to be determined
- May 10, 6 p.m.: Grand Finale Gala, The Meadows, Prairie Meadows Racetrack and Casino, Altoona (IA); cost: $100/person