Friday recipe: Three Can Boom Boom

January 17, 2014 —

Do you ever have those days when you just don’t have a clue on what to do in the kitchen, other than stare agape in your open fridge? You know, when you find yourself pawing through that pile of pizza- and soy-sauce-stained take-out menus? I can relate. Perhaps it’s because I cooked more than I usually do over the holiday break, I struggled to come up with something better than the final crumbs of New Year’s Chex mix moldering on the counter. 

I thought of posting Epicurious’ Vietnamese “Banh Mi” chicken burger, but just reading the list of ingredients left me exhausted (that said, if you decided to take a whack at it, invite me over).

Sometimes I'm culinarily clueless. Like today.

Ever feel culinarily clueless? Open three cans.

Maybe I should have stuck with Maya Dangerfield’s list of “10 nutrients scientifically proven to make you feel awesome” that she posted on Greatist.com. Check it out – her article would make a fine grocery shopping list during these cold winter days, when feeling more awesome would be a good thing.

If you’re already feeling awesome, I dare you to dive into the recipe I found on the Lucky Penny blog for a proclaimed BEST cauliflower crust pizza, which I promise I will make some leisurely weekend. (And most definitely a day when the kids and spouse are not around to peer over my shoulder and squawk, “UGGGHHHH! Are you making PIZZA CRUST out of CAULIFLOWER? No WAY I’ma eatin’ THAT!” Well, fine. More for moi.)

So now that I’ve hemmed and hawed longer than it would have taken me to go to the store, buy groceries and cook them into something edible, the best I could come up with is what a friend dubbed “Three Can Boom Boom.” I’ll let you, Smart Reader, figure out why. You may think this is a lame option – who needs a recipe for opening three cans? – but therein lies the beauty:

• I always have three cans of at least some of this stuff in my cupboard.
  • Salsa is a staple at my house.
  • So is cumin and cayenne.
  • But you can spice this up however you want.

This concoction offers additional bonuses when you’re having culinary brain freeze: It makes a sizable batch that stores well in the fridge, so you’re set for lunch for the next several days (depending on the number of people you’re feeding). You can toss a large spoonful on your breakfast scrambled eggs, roll it in a tortilla or enjoy it as a side with a burger, chicken or fish. And if you’re on a budget (and who isn’t post-holidays?), few dishes of this substance come cheaper.

Three Can Boom Boom

• 1 can garbanzo beans or black beans, rinsed and drained
  • Whole-kernel corn, drained
  • 1 can diced tomatoes – reserve liquid in case you want to add it to the mix; you also can use a cup of salsa
  • Seasonings to taste: I like a 1/2 teaspoon each cumin, cayenne and black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • Splash in some Tabasco if that floats your boat
  • Chopped cilantro (optional for all you cilantro-haters)

Combine, taste and adjust seasonings.