Mindi Feilmeier, D.P.M.’05, FACFAS, assistant professor and clinician in the College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, has had a successful year of research. Her work this year included an extensive collaboration with Dr. Paul Dayton and the residency program in Fort Dodge as well as the highly motivated students at Des Moines University. The research ranged from cadaveric studies to retrospective reviews and systematic reviews of literature.
“The fun part of our research is working as a cohesive team,” says Feilmeier. “Everyone on the team gives vital input and creative ideas to better our work.”
Feilmeier and her CPMS colleagues are currently aiming for publication in the Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, the most respected and well-read publication in the field. Upcoming work expands research on bunion deformity and first MPJ fusion. Other new research looks at outcomes of gastrocnemius recession, a surgical lengthening of the Achilles tendon complex more proximal in the calf.
“We have genuinely appreciated the support of the IOER for funding our research,” she adds. “We also have an outside grant that has been submitted. We will be presenting some of our work at the Annual Scientific Meeting of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons in Florida in February.”
Feilmeier has had much of her research published this year. The following have been published or are in press:
- Feilmeier M, Dayton P, Wienke J. Reduction of the Intermetatarsal Angle after First MPJ Arthrodesis in Patients with Hallux Valgus. Publication pending J Foot Ankle Surg, accepted September 2013.
- Dayton P, Kauwe M, Kauwe J, Feilmeier M, Hirschi J. Observed Changes in the First Metatarsal and Medial Cuneiform Position Following First Metatarsal Phalangeal Joint Arthrodesis. Publication pending, J Foot Ankle Surg, accepted September 2013
- Dayton P, Feilmeier M, Coleman N. Principles of management of growth plate fractures in the foot and ankle. Clinics in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery 30(4):583-598, 2013.
- Dayton P, Prins D, Smith D, Feilmeier M. Effectiveness of a locking plate in preserving midcalcaneal length and positional outcome after Evans calcaneal osteotomy: A retrospective Pilot Study. In Press, J Foot Ankle Surg, June 2013.
- Dayton P, Feilmeier M, Sedberry S. Does getting sutures wet postoperatively increase the incidence of infection? A systematic review of the literature. J Foot Ankle Surg 52(5):612-4, 2013.
- Dayton P, Feilmeier M, Kauwe M, Hirschi J. Relationship of frontal plane rotation of the first metatarsal to proximal articular set angle and hallux alignment in patients having tarsal metatarsal arthrodesis for hallux abducto valgus: A case series and critical review of the literature. J Foot Ankle Surg 52(3):348-54, 2013
The following articles are under revisions:
- Dayton P, Kauwe M, Kauwe J, Feilmeier M, Hirschi. Radiographic analysis of frontal plane rotation of the first metatarsal. (Under revision September 2013 J Foot Ankle Surg)
- Dayton P, Feilmeier M, Hensley, N. Minimally invasive repair of calcaneal fractures using external fixation: A technique guide and literature review. (Under revision September 2013 J Foot Ankle Surg)