August 20, 20138/20/13 0 comments
Do you like to work with junior high/high school kids? Do you like to educate others about different health career opportunities? Do you like to participate in hands-on activities? Are you looking for an on-going volunteer activity?
- Health Careers Exploring Post 141is a long-standing program here at DMU helping to educate local area youth about many different types of careers in the medical field.
- The program costs them only $20 for the entire year. We typically have around 80 paid members each year with 30-40 attending each meeting.
Each evening we try to explore health careers (those we offer here at DMU and others outside the university) that are of interest to the students.
We try to make each program hands-on to keep them interested.
- We meet the 2nd and 4Tuesday of each month, September through April.
- We meet in LH1 on campus from 7 p.m.-9 p.m. (occasionally we take field trips and in those instances we meet at the location).
- We hold planning meetings during the day (typically over lunch hours), once every two weeks or so.
- If you’re unable to make those meetings, it’s not a big deal. We really need advisors to be AT the Tuesday evening meetings to help with the programs.
- We only have to have 2-3 advisors at each program meeting so the more advisors the better! Then you don’t have to attend all of them if you have a conflict.
- Email Melissa.firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know you’re interested.
- We’re going to hold a lunch informational session near the end of August to give more information about the program.
- If you’re unable to make the lunch, Melissa will set up an individual time to meet with you and go over specifics.