Friday recipe: easy Thai chicken

August 9, 2013 —

Sometimes I love a relaxed weekend afternoon of trying a new recipe using a variety of ingredients and steps. I love to shop our local farmers’ markets and ethnic grocery stores for fresh produce and other foods new to my palate. On those days, I pat myself on the back and say, “You’re such a good human for taking the time to cook and eat healthy dishes that you’ve so skillfully and lovingly crafted.”

Then there is the brutal reality that much of the time I don’t want to drag out a pan or colander or Cuisinart or measuring cup. Most weekday evenings I can’t face a fridge or cupboard full of rudely unassembled ingredients. There are times I don’t want to chop, boil, sauté, simmer or bake. I won’t go for fast food or call for a pizza, but I’m definitely not above grabbing a few ready-made ingredients and slamming them together for my supper.

Photo: Tara Donne/Prevention.com

Photo: Tara Donne/Prevention.com

Today’s recipe from Prevention.com is one of my go-tos when I’m in such a sorry culinary state. After a quick stop at the grocery store, it takes just minutes to prepare.

Easy Thai chicken

• Rotisserie chicken (or leftover cooked chicken, if you have it)
  • 13.5-ounce can light coconut milk
  • 1-2 tablespoons bottled red curry paste
  • 4 teaspoons sugar or Splenda
  • Pepper to taste
  • 1 cup fresh basil leaves
  • Lime wedges

Pull meat from the rotisserie chicken in large pieces. Spoon a few tablespoons of coconut milk into a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the curry paste. Add the sugar or Splenda, remaining coconut milk and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer, add chicken and warm through. Stir in basil leaves. Serve with lime wedges and, if you wish, rice.