Friday recipe: rhubarb salsa

June 7, 2013 —

When my family gets together with my parents, sisters and their tribes, I consider the event the epitome of wellness (other than the adult beverages involved). We always engage in a lot of laughter, love, conversation and often a local activity, such as Des Moines’ Downtown Farmers Market or live music; during our most recent gathering, we enjoyed local jazz/blues/swing band, Spicy Pickles, which includes DMU Assistant Professor Rod Philp, Ph.D.

Photo: Sweet Domesticity

Photo: Sweet Domesticity

It wouldn’t be a family gathering without great food, and I scored big-time on our latest gathering: The folks brought bags of fresh-cut asparagus and rhubarb, both spring-time favorites. I used to think of rhubarb as only a dessert ingredient; while indeed it’s the perfect complement to strawberries in a fruit crisp and a tasty tart surprise in dessert bars, it also puts a delectable pop in relishes and salsas, like the recipe below from the blog Sweet Domesticity.

Rhubarb salsa

• 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, finely diced
  • 1/2 cup sweet bell peppers, finely diced
  • 1/3 cup scallions, finely sliced
  • 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
  • 1/2 cup pickled cocktail onions, quartered
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • Juice from 1/4 a small lime
  • Ground cayenne or chipotle pepper, to taste
  • Salt, to taste
  • Fresh cilantro, to taste

Whisk together the honey, cider vinegar and lime juice in a bowl. Add rhubarb, peppers and onions and toss until all ingredients are coated. Season with ground pepper, salt and fresh cilantro to taste.