Wear red, support women

January 31, 2013 —

goredforwomenIn October last year, I attended the American Heart Association of Central Iowa’s annual luncheon where I learned that heart disease is the number one killer of American women. That it causes one in three deaths among them each year. And that most women don’t even realize it. I was shocked at these numbers and at how ‘in the dark’ I was about the disease.

In an effort to bring more awareness to this risk, wear red on the 10th Annual National Wear Red Day (TOMORROW Friday, February 1) to stand with women in the fight against their number-one killer: heart disease. Because when Women Go Red, all of us — women and men — join together to support swifter action for women’s health, increased funding, and more research, all for the ultimate goal of saving women’s lives.

With a deep love for her hometown, Nicole Branstad is pro-Des Moines and is constantly touting its many events and attractions. When she isn’t out exploring the city she likes to spend time with her husband Marcus and their son Everett. She enjoys hosting lavish dinner parties, collecting wine and buying fresh flowers at the downtown farmer’s market. Nicole works in the marketing & communications department as the online marketing-enrollment coordinator.