Friday recipe: blueberry crumble

January 4, 2013 —

Colder weather, especially on weekends, turns my culinary inclinations to heartier breakfasts. Sorry to admit that I prefer to indulge my sweet tooth with my cup of coffee, which makes me love this recipe for more than its utter deliciousness: It’s easy to fix, doesn’t require any exotic ingredients (trust me when I say frozen fruit is as yummy in this bake as fresh) and is a heck of a lot healthier than, say, a Krispy Kreme.

I’ve enjoyed this recipe with sliced apples and with blueberries complements of my esteemed colleagues on DMU’s wellness program staff, who got it from the cookbook, Eat Right for Life, by Ann Kulze, M.D. Her website offers many health recipes and other tips for healthy living. Bake up a batch of this luscious crumble, gather family and friends, pour the coffee and dive into the Sunday newspaper for a satisfying winter morning.

Blueberry crumble
From Dr. Ann’s Eat Right for Life

• 6 cups berries of choice, frozen or fresh
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
  • 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8-ounce square or two-quart deep baking dish with cooking spray. Toss berries with granulated sugar, lemon juice and one teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Transfer to the prepared baking dish, cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.

While it’s baking, combine flour, oats, brown sugar and the remaining cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix to blend. Stir in oil and nuts; toss well until evenly moistened and clumpy. Remove the foil from the baking dish and scatter the topping evenly over the berries. Bake uncovered until the topping has browned and the fruit is soft and bubbling, about 30 minutes more.