Friday recipe: crockpot Cuban black beans

September 28, 2012 —

Last weekend, after deciding to try one of the recipes I’ve collected recently, I came to the realization I’m a recipe hoarder. I do not have just a couple waiting to be assembled. I have piles. I have an overflowing three-ring binder. And all those recipes are in addition to the tried-and-try ones in my recipe box and in all the cookbooks on my kitchen shelves.

It doesn’t get much better than black beans when you want cheap, delicious and nutritious dining.

Like most people, I have reasons for these piles. We are all busy and don’t always feel like being Julia Child at the end of the day. But part of my culinary paralysis is due to the fact that reading a seemingly appealing recipe in a magazine or on a website is a far piece from buying all the ingredients, spending time putting them together and getting it to the table. And then hoping it will make everyone happy.

To my rescue comes this ultra-easy, cheap and nutritious version of Cuban black beans. It’s delicious on its own or ladled on cooked rice.

Crockpot Cuban black beans

• 2 cups dried black beans, rinsed and picked over
  • 14.5-ounce can of tomatoes (with diced green chilies if you like it hot)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • One bay leaf
  • 5 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • Black pepper, to taste

Combine all the ingredients except the vinegar in a crockpot. Cover and cook on high 6-8 hours or on low 8-10 hours. Stir in the vinegar. Season to taste with black pepper.

Endlessly curious and easily entertained, Barb Dietrich Boose loves being a member of the friendly, fascinating DMU community and its creative communications team. The University's publications director and DMU Magazine editor, Barb is always on the hunt for story ideas, good books and new recipes to try out on her family, such as her surprisingly tasty pork-and-bean bars.