Friday recipe: broccoli salad

June 15, 2012 —

Our refrigerator’s vegetable drawers are typically crammed full of my favs – cabbage, which I eat plain or as a substitute for chips and crackers; Brussels sprouts, waiting for my magical Sriracha-and-mint sauce treatment; lettuce and cucumbers, for my spouse’s salads; a chunk of fresh ginger, a heavenly accompaniment, which fresh garlic, for roasted vegetables; grapes, for our veggie-repelling daughter; celery, because sometimes you just need something to chew on; and carrots, always carrots. I also recently brought home a big head of broccoli, which my spouse suggested that I use to make broccoli salad.

Get a big head and dress it up in vinaigrette.

You may be picturing that picnic-staple version that’s drenched in mayo and bacon, an approach that obviously jacks up the fat and calories. And doesn’t that defeat the purpose of broccoli, the very purity of this beautiful member of the cabbage family? In fact, I’d bet the broccoli – known for its detoxification effect on our bodies – is massively mortified to be immersed in mayo and bacon.

Let’s be better to broccoli and to ourselves. Try instead this tasty broccoli salad recipe from the Food Network’s “Healthy Eats” website, which calls for just five ingredients. (Of course, you could add a sixth – some shredded carrots from your veggie drawer.)

Broccoli salad

• 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
  • 5 cups chopped broccoli (florets and stems)
  • 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, either roasted and salted or unsalted
  • 1/4 cup raisins

In a small bowl, whisk yogurt and vinaigrette until smooth. Add a tablespoon of water to thin it out slightly. Season with black pepper and, if desired, kosher salt.

In a medium bowl, combine broccoli, sunflower seeds and raisins. Top with dressing and toss well. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to marry.

Endlessly curious and easily entertained, Barb Dietrich Boose loves being a member of the friendly, fascinating DMU community and its creative communications team. The University's publications director and DMU Magazine editor, Barb is always on the hunt for story ideas, good books and new recipes to try out on her family, such as her surprisingly tasty pork-and-bean bars.