May 10, 20125/10/12 0 comments
May is Bike Month and Des Moines has a ton of opportunities for you to dust off those wheels and hit the trails.
• May 14: Two-Wheel Caucus, 7-8 a.m. Meet at 39th Street and Grand Avenue, as politicians from central Iowa will ride with commuters downtown. Ride ends at Congressman Leonard Boswell’s office, 300 E. Locust St.
• May 16: Join cyclists nationwide in a silent, slow-paced Ride of Silence (max of 10 mph) to honor those killed or injured while cycling. 6:30-7:45 p.m., State Historical Building, 600 E. Locust St.
• May 18: Ten-year anniversary of Bike to Work Day. Celebrate between 4:30 and 8 p.m. at Gray’s Lake with music sponsored by Des Moines Park and Recreation and Jasper Winery.
• May 20: Bike to Art, 2-4 p.m. Meet at 13th Street and Grand Avenue on the east side of the Pappajohn Sculpture Park for a bike tour of downtown architecture and art. Recommended donation: $10 per person, $20 family.
• May 20: Community Bike Picnic at Woody’s Smoke Shack, 2511 Cottage Grove Ave. From 4 to 7 p.m., enjoy barbecue with fellow cyclists. Bring a side dish and something to drink. The Des Moines Bicycle Collective will recognize the Commuter and Advocate of the Year along with all volunteers.
• May 28: Metro Trail Ride, 1-5 p.m. Celebrate the central Iowa trail system at a gathering at Birdland Park.