Friday recipe: a sweet for your sweetie

February 10, 2012 —

In trying to reduce – or at least control – sugar in my diet, I find it works best to keep a little sweetness on the menu. I’m proud to say I’m at least 12 months’ Krispy Kreme-free; instead, I like to indulge in an occasional piece of Double-Bubble sour apple bubble gum. The sugar-free Werther’s caramel hard candies I keep in a bowl on my desk also are great when I need a smidge of the sweet stuff.

But come on, people, moderation in moderation. And next week brings Valentine’s Day, when many of us like to treat our sweeties – and be treated – to chocolate.

Recipe and photo: eatbetteramerica.com

Don’t opt for the heart-shaped box full of high-fat creams and caramels, though. Instead, show your loved one how much you care by whipping up this relatively light and easy mousse. Each half-cup serving totals 75 calories if you use the sugar-free, fat-free pudding mix (140 calories if you use the “real” kind); make it practically guilt-free by splitting one serving and then going for a romantic walk.

In what healthy ways do you indulge your sweet tooth?

Chocolate espresso mousse

• 2 tablespoons and 1 cup light chocolate soy milk, divided
  • 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee granules or crystals
  • 1 ounce semisweet or bittersweet baking chocolate
  • 1 box (four-serving size) sugar-free and fat-free chocolate instant pudding mix
  • 2 cups frozen (thawed) fat-free whipped topping

In a small saucepan, stir together 2 tablespoons soy milk, the espresso powder and chocolate. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is well blended. Cool slightly.

In a medium bowl, beat 1 cup soy milk and the pudding mix with an electric mixer on medium speed or wire whisk 1 to 2 minutes, or until mixture is well blended and thickened.

Stir melted chocolate mixture into pudding mixture. Fold in whipped topping. Spoon into 6 individual dessert dishes; serve immediately or refrigerate until serving time. Store covered in the refrigerator.