Friday recipe: quin-WHAT?

August 26, 2011 —

Whenever I mention to someone that I am going to have a quinoa dish, I normally receive a “what did you just say?” look. Many people have not heard of this pseudo-cereal, but I’m sure they would be pleasantly surprised at the versatility it holds for any number of dishes. One such dish that I have become quite the fan of is my fiancée’s quinoa vegetable soup.

Quinoa: versatile, protein-packed goodness in every bite

Now, coming from a guy’s perspective, I can tell you that the first thought that comes to mind when I hear the word soup is “watery and not filling.” Well, not this one. Fear not, gents, this one is for you as well!

This soup was “accidentally” invented when my fiancée was preparing another soup with a similar broth and realized that she didn’t have anything the other recipe called for. She substituted quinoa for barley and added whatever vegetables she had on hand, and it turned out great!

Quinoa vegetable soup

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 5-7 cups of vegetables (normally whatever is in season; corn, green beans, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, carrots, celery, zucchini and kohlrabi have all worked well)
  • 1 tablespoon dill
  • 8 cups chicken broth
  • 1½ cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • ¼ teaspoon pepper or to taste
  • 1/3 cup fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 cup quinoa

In a large saucepan or pot, heat olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add vegetables and sauté for 6-7 minutes until soft. Add dill and stir to coat vegetables. Add 2 cups of chicken broth and heat to boiling. Add remaining broth, milk, parsley, pepper and soy sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add quinoa. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the white spots in the center of the quinoa grains disappear completely.

Andrew Crisologo was born in Ohio and raised in Alabama. He earned his B.A. in Biology at Asbury University (Wilmore, KY) and is now a student in the DPM class of 2014 at Des Moines University. Before choosing a career in podiatric medicine, Andrew shadowed professionals in several fields of medicine, from family practice to dermatology to ophthalmology. He knew medicine was for him, but none of the specialties caught his attention until he shadowed his podiatrist and saw how lower limb health directly impacted one’s quality of life. He now looks forward to one day providing that same care and aid to his own patients.